Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that Feature might seem as negative or non constructive. The idea is that when I check user reviews, I normally check the worst comments to see what are the issues with the games and does it bothers me. So I thought that it could be interesting if game issues could be listed on the game and maybe players could vote for them.

The idea would be to have a list of common game issues like:

Analysis Paralysis
Run away leader syndrome
Leader bashing
Under Produced game
Colorblind issues
etc...

Player could mark in a checkbox the issues they think the game have, and maybe on the front game's description page , the 3 most popular issues could be listed with the percentage of voters, like for example:

Leader Bashing: 30%
Colorblind issues: 10%
Analysis Paralysis: 3%

You could also set a min of voters for the issue to appear. For example, if there is less than 1% voter on an issue, it does not get listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems potentially useful, but some of those would need to be per version, not per game, e.g.:

Under Produced game
Colorblind issues

One version of a game might have low-quality components bad for colorblind people and another version of the same game might have great components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ugh. Can I look at them sober, or do I have to drink whiskey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Seems potentially useful, but some of those would need to be per version, not per game, e.g.:

Under Produced game
Colorblind issues

One version of a game might have low-quality components bad for colorblind people and another version of the same game might have great components.

The colorblind problem is a funny one. Most people aren't colorblind so their votes would be just noise. Given that a person had a colorblind issue, then there are several types of colorblindness. So colorblind issues don't seem practical for herd voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He sweetened his game with aspartame and an overgrown sign pointed the way to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmb
Why limit it to issues? Include a full list of largely well-defined and value-neutral game properties including but not limited to:

Invites pimping
Wrong theme
Bits not restrained by insert
Smells like cotton candy
Plastic, should have been wood
Wood, should have been plastic
Packs itself away
Attracts cats
Needs exactly X players
Consistency of cotton candy
Deep, invites analysis
Looks good on table
All around suspiciously identical to cotton candy
Aliens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Not sure if this is a good idea. Many 'issues' can be traced back to rules errors, groupthink, wrong expectations, and even simply misunderstanding the game itself. Allowing votes on these subjects suggest authority and objectivity when they are anything but. Since there is no way to check the voter's credentials (not even by mandatory play logging) I would be very hesitant to place any trust in the aggregated results, thus rendering the whole pointless.

Best to leave it at textual contributions which convey a lot more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The colorblind problem is a funny one.

Well you could have a game with colors that are close to each other and hard to differentiate even to non-color blind people.

Quote:
Why limit it to issues? Include a full list of largely well-defined and value-neutral game properties

If you want to be possible to search or filter those issues, it have to be a standardized list of keywords.

Quote:
Not sure if this is a good idea. Many 'issues' can be traced back to rules errors, groupthink, wrong expectations, and even simply misunderstanding the game itself. Allowing votes on these subjects suggest authority and objectivity when they are anything but.

This is what I was afraid of, it more subjective than objective information. Also fixing the rulebook for example, could invalidate certain issues and people will not change back their voting on the game.

Most of those issues are also a negative approach, not sure if it could be reversed in a positive approach. For example, when you have a game with "2-5 players, recommended 5" (ex: fury of dracula). The "recommended 5" is a positive way of telling you that it has an issue where it can only play at 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Meh. Several of those are group issues.

Some games don't work with some groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Yeah, let's focus on getting the ability to rate gamers; then we can come back and add the lists of issues:

- bends cards
- puts cards in mouth
- puts dice in mouth
- fiddles with phone during game
- smells like sweaty feet
- starts unrelated bullshitty conversations with other players, then acts surprised when told to take his goddamn turn
- plays Settlers naked
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Yeah, let's focus on getting the ability to rate gamers; then we can come back and add the lists of issues:

- bends cards
- puts cards in mouth
- puts dice in mouth
- fiddles with phone during game
- smells like sweaty feet
- starts unrelated bullshitty conversations with other players, then acts surprised when told to take his goddamn turn
- plays Settlers naked
etc.

This is the first "plays Settlers naked" reference I've seen in years. Good to see some things are not forgotten.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.