Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are thinking of getting Roads and Boats.
We have a reasonable collection, love plenty of euros, but have only played one Splotter (Food Chain Magnate). We enjoyed it.
We have Indonesia on the way next month.
We will spend about 200 USD on a few games over the next 3 months (that's our budget).

We can currently get Roads and Boats + &cetera for a total of 130USD equivalent. (New)

To buy, or choose a couple of other games in its place?

Convince us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can try before you buy. Roads and boats is a much different beast than anything in your collection. That being said it is oop and if you don't like it you should be able to recoup most if not all money spent on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
$130USD is cheap, at least compared to when we got it a few years back.

If you can try before you buy, it would be worthwhile. I am not sure if there is an on-line version or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorandlinda wrote:
We can currently get Roads and Boats + &cetera for a total of 130USD equivalent. (New)

To buy, or choose a couple of other games in its place?

Convince us

Buy it, try it and if you do not like it, you can easily sell it for what you're paying for it. So there's no loss. Even if you take a small loss on it, consider it a rental fee. It would certainly be less than the cost of going out to eat or a movie (the small loss that is).

$130 is cheap for the game and expansion together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is quite long. If you don't want to play 3+ hours, then you shouldn't go for it. It is much longer than food chain magnate.
Apart from that, this game is amazing, even 17 years after its first release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm happy with the fact it's different from what we own (although we will have another Splotter soon). And whilst it IS expensive, it's definitely a very good price. We play longer games pretty often, and have no problem with 4 hour+ 'event' games (as i call them).

Thanks for the advice.

(we also have our eye on Star Wars Rebellion, but while it would be cheaper than R&B we'd have to pay about 90 dollars for it where we live, as opposed to 75 in the US. I'd rather get the better deal, and wait for more Rebellion to arrive at some point in the future)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't even hesitate.

I already own it and the expansion and I would still buy it in a heartbeat at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pinkley
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Roads and Boats 'N Hoes
I got my copy for the unbelievable price of $120 last month and it was the best board game purchase decision I've ever made. For that $130 you'll get the most unique and deepest gaming experience you've ever had. If you can get it for that cheap, it's absolutely worth it and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could only own ten games, Roads & Boats would be one of them.
If I didn't own it, it would be the next game I purchased (and that's coming from someone who only manages to get it to the table once a year or so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given your highest rated games, I think that you would like R&B very much.

As for length, my wife and I recently played a 2p game using the solo rules, which takes 20 rounds rather than 31, and it was much shorter (2hrs?) yet still very satisfying.

I'd add that the solo game is really fun, if you like logistical puzzles.

BTW, I paid $150 for it this year, without &etcetra, so $130 for both is a really good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
It's price always seems to stay in the $99-$135 range.

It consistently sells for considerably more once it's been OOP for a while and prices are already climbing:

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/roadboat

Last copy here on BGG sold at auction with the expansion for $160.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
Hustle Like Russell - 12th Man for Life!
badge
My height doesn't define my skill set. To be a great gamer, you have to have great leadership, great attention to detail and a relentless competitive nature - and I try to bring that on a daily basis.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about trading for this game? It took me a while, but I finally found someone who was willing to trade it for games I never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

Decided that we are going to get this.

In answer to the question as to a trade, we live in China, and so finding trades of anything produced in English or any European language is almost impossible, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urgh!....board game disease.

The same shop here in China this weekend posted Food Chain Magante also for pre-order. I'm guessing they're getting a few copies along with TGZ and Indonesia print runs?

Seeing as it is an entire Euro cheaper than from the Splotter website, and with absoluteky zero shipping fee, we've just parted with another 74 Euro on top of R&B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maniscalco
United States
Matawan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Linda,

Glad to hear you decided to get the game. I absolutely love this game. I only wish I had people to play it with. The fact that you can change the map each session adds lots of replayability and possible scenarios. It can be a calm, laid back game, or a conflict filled one without any pesky battling. It's certainly a unique experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. I've played it three times and it is a great, re playable game. Not nearly as nice to look at or as thematic as FCM (which I love for those reasons), but if you like event games, I think R&B has more variety of strategies and replayability long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.