High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Push Factory combat (and several other questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Fellabaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Shouldn't Push Factories have some sort of enhanced attack? I would propose that they should attack as a 2d6 raygun, similar to Jon's Law. After all, thematically they are large lasers or masers...

And while I'm here, some questions:

1. If you use Factory-Assist landing or lift off it entails a Crash Hazard risk. Can this be negated by paying 4WT, like other crash hazards?

2. How about Aerobrake Hazards? I assume that you pay 4WT to negate that hazard?

3. If you have the Space Elevator Future, do you have both elevators? Or must you choose one? The most recent rulebook says "...between Leo and L2 or between Phobos and the Caves of Mars." [My emphasis.] I assume this means that you must choose one.

4. You get one VP per space colony, and they protect a collocated factory from buggy capture since they have humans on board. Are there any other reasons to have them?

5. Can emancipated robots form a space colony, or must the colonist (or crew) be human?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

1. If you use Factory-Assist landing or lift off it entails a Crash Hazard risk. Can this be negated by paying 4WT, like other crash hazards?

Yes

Quote:
2. How about Aerobrake Hazards? I assume that you pay 4WT to negate that hazard?

Yes.

Quote:
3. If you have the Space Elevator Future, do you have both elevators? Or must you choose one? The most recent rulebook says "...between Leo and L2 or between Phobos and the Caves of Mars." [My emphasis.] I assume this means that you must choose one.

Don't know. (I thought you had both, but it never happened to me to want to use both in my games so that the question never arised.)

Quote:
4. You get one VP per space colony, and they protect a collocated factory from buggy capture since they have humans on board. Are there any other reasons to have them?

Sometimes I found it useful to be able to move crew from Earth to a space colony or viceversa as a free action.

Quote:
5. Can emancipated robots form a space colony, or must the colonist (or crew) be human?

Don't know. (It never happened in my game because the emancipator is the one who tends to have emancipated robots and decommissioning them back to the deck is normally not a good idea for the loss of electoral ballots.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
2D6 ray guns are problematic already and making push factories 2d6 ray guns is even more unbalancing.

Quote:

You get 2 VP from colonies: 1 VP because they are a unit on the board and 1 additional VP because they are a colony.

They protect against felonies because they are human.

Quote:

Yes - except Smart Pets cannot form colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
andrewdoull wrote:
2D6 ray guns are problematic already and making push factories 2d6 ray guns is even more unbalancing.

This.

andrewdoull wrote:
You get 2 VP from colonies: 1 VP because they are a unit on the board and 1 additional VP because they are a colony.

Complementing Andrew's answer, IIRC, colonies also prevent glitches on a factory outpost (e.g. that card you just ET produced)

andrewdoull wrote:

I wonder why....

(okay, not exactly "smart")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Fellabaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
barbanera wrote:
Sometimes I found it useful to be able to move crew from Earth to a space colony or viceversa as a free action.

Is that a thing? What rule is it?

EDIT-- Ah, I found it, hidden away in the glossary entry for SPACE COLONY.

andrewdoull wrote:

Again, can I trouble you for a rule number? (I have the latest PDF from the 3rd ed. Kickstarter campaign.) In particular, where are the Smart Pets excluded?

And I presume that non-emancipated robots cannot form colonies, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
acrosome wrote:

andrewdoull wrote:

Again, can I trouble you for a rule number? (I have the latest PDF from the 3rd ed. Kickstarter campaign.) In particular, where are the Smart Pets excluded?

And I presume that non-emancipated robots cannot form colonies, right?

Don't think it says it in the rules. It says it right on the Smart Pets card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Fellabaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
CthulhuKid wrote:

Don't think it says it in the rules. It says it right on the Smart Pets card.

Is that the 3rd ed card? Because it isn't on the 2nd ed card that I have.

Also- no one has an answer on the Space Elevator?

Finally, do space colonies count against your maximum number of human colonists in space? (I assume not, but I'm asking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd edition Space Pets card does say "may not be used for a space colony."

As for the Space Elevator Venture, the 3rd edition card text seems unambiguous: "LEO and Earth-Luna L2 are colocated. Phobos and Arsia Mons Caves of Mars are colocated. Your spacecraft adjacent to one end of the elevator are considered adjacent to the other end."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
acrosome wrote:
barbanera wrote:

Is that a thing? What rule is it?

EDIT-- Ah, I found it, hidden away in the glossary entry for SPACE COLONY.

There should also be reference to this as a valid free action both in the rules and on the High Frontier fuel mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.