Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just finished playing T.I.M.E. Stories, Prophecy of the Dragon. We like the fantasy theme, the character class selection, and even the roll skill checks that require a diverse team. All of this obviously speaks to D&D but we'd rather play a game where one of us doesn't have to be the dungeon master. We also don't get together to play that often, so I don't want to have to keep a persistent character. Are there other good fantasy-themed games that basically play out as an RPG with selectable characters where we don't need a dungeon master, and can pick a new class for each game (rather than a persistent D&D char)?

Edited to add later: I also like games with a campaign/story feel. P:L was great for this reason. TIME Stories, although not my favorite (I do not like the one-and-done of a single campaign, glad it wasn't my purchase), had a story narrative, if a weak one. I think if given the choice of two similar games where one is a straight dungeon crawler and one is more of a story/campaign I would go toward the story.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven (in the coming soon category)

The difference is that it is a legacy game: as you complete quests you add stickers to the map that unlock different areas. Also your character has a secret motivation and advances, eventually retiring so that you can play someone else. Crazy stuff for a board game...and no DM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D series of board games sounds perfect for you.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't you have better things to do?
badge
Should you be reading this?
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest if you can find it, it was perfect and included campaign rules.

There is a new card game version as well: Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jedediah Spencer
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Mice and Mystics is a good one though it's a little lighter themed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah great you guys, thanks! I had no idea that D&D made board games so that sounds pretty perfect. Will check out the Warhammer one as well and Pathfinder.

Definitely going to watch Gloomhaven too. Before TIME Stories we played Pandemic: Legacy and we were all huge fans of the legacy aspect. I'm tentatively considering Seafall but hugely prefer co-op experiences to Pvp so I'm pretty excited to see that there is a legacy game coming out that seems to suit my request perfectly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jedite21 wrote:
Mice and Mystics is a good one though it's a little lighter themed

Cross-posted with you, will check this too, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) now has an app which replaces the overlord, so everyone's playing cooperatively against the app (and you could even play solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide: Black Plague might suit you too. The class choice aspect is not as clear cut - it's more that the special abilities of each character play to a fantasy archetype. The upcoming Massive Darkness might also suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edited my post to add: I also like games with a campaign/story feel. P:L was great for this reason. TIME Stories, although not my favorite (I do not like the one-and-done of a single campaign, glad it wasn't my purchase), had a story narrative, if a weak one. I think if given the choice of two similar games where one is a straight dungeon crawler and one is more of a story/campaign I would go toward the story.

We've had some AMAZING suggestions in this thread, thank you!!! Let the Analysis Paralysis begin!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue with the new and upcoming stuff...

Sword & Sorcery is another one to watch out for.

The D&D games are fairly light, if that is what you prefer. Same with Mice and Mystics (which is bigger on story). Sword & Sorcery is a more complex game.

Something else, that might be fun:

Legends of Andor

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nod to Descent 2nd Edition, with the app making it full co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Threnody wrote:
I think if given the choice of two similar games where one is a straight dungeon crawler and one is more of a story/campaign I would go toward the story.
Then maybe you should also have a look at Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It's very story-driven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Threnody wrote:
We just finished playing T.I.M.E. Stories, Prophecy of the Dragon. We like the fantasy theme, the character class selection, and even the roll skill checks that require a diverse team. All of this obviously speaks to D&D but we'd rather play a game where one of us doesn't have to be the dungeon master. We also don't get together to play that often, so I don't want to have to keep a persistent character. Are there other good fantasy-themed games that basically play out as an RPG with selectable characters where we don't need a dungeon master, and can pick a new class for each game (rather than a persistent D&D char)?

Edited to add later: I also like games with a campaign/story feel. P:L was great for this reason. TIME Stories, although not my favorite (I do not like the one-and-done of a single campaign, glad it wasn't my purchase), had a story narrative, if a weak one. I think if given the choice of two similar games where one is a straight dungeon crawler and one is more of a story/campaign I would go toward the story.

Thanks in advance

Not wanting to maintain persistent characters is going to put the kibosh on a lot of games that might otherwise fit the bill as far as the story/rpg elements. If you're willing to make a concession for that, if it's as simple as throwing your cards into a 3x5 ziplock bag and pulling them out again when you need to, I would suggest the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It checks all of the other boxes--It's full co-op, you need to have a good mix of roles to do well, doesn't take all night to play, and scales well to party size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest?

The story is on the light side here but it does come with a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend app sounds perfect, assuming you don't have some anti-app stance.

Story driven campaign, persistent characters that level up/get new abilities/get new gear, fantasy theme, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a number of these dungeon crawlers that try to straddle pen-n-paper Rpgs and board games and to be brutally frank there isn't one that doesn't end up disappointing both sides. But the most fun I've had was with Shadows of Brimstone. It does have persistent characters, but so do most of them but I don't see why one cant pick a new scenario and let people advance a new character for it ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Gloom of kilforth

Magic Realm can always be played co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
Qc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All of the dungeon and dragon board game mentioned earlier are good, i suggest the adventure of Drizzt personally or temple of elemental evil.

There is a game on kickstarter (i know i know) called: Massive darkness that you can "preorder" that looks exactly like what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:

Not wanting to maintain persistent characters is going to put the kibosh on a lot of games that might otherwise fit the bill as far as the story/rpg elements. If you're willing to make a concession for that, if it's as simple as throwing your cards into a 3x5 ziplock bag and pulling them out again when you need to, I would suggest the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It checks all of the other boxes--It's full co-op, you need to have a good mix of roles to do well, doesn't take all night to play, and scales well to party size.

I think it's more that I prefer people to be able to change what character they play each round/game, rather than be tied to it forever. Like at the beginning of each Pandemic: Legacy month where you can change the team and who plays each character. The characters themselves can evolve and change (or not), I just prefer it to be acceptable to swap out which one is being played by which player.
However I would consider this a lax requirement of what I'm looking for. As you said, it's not hard to put the stuff in a bag. Mostly I just have concerns about anyone being stuck with a character that they are not wild about and not able to change, and then the game never hits the table.
I actually LOVE characters that gain abilities/xp through being played. I just prefer a system where Bob can play that char one game, and Jane can play it the next, without that interfering with the narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at the fantasy version of pandemic Defenders of the Realm.
I reckon the D&D boardgame series mentioned earlier is the way to go though.
You can try one and if you like it go and mix n match them all together for themed dungeon runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macabee wrote:
There is a new card game version as well: Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Although there seems to be much talk of it being done since FFG likely won't retain the license. Base game with two other characters might leave a number of people wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:

I will caution you that these can feel less like a careful dungeon crawl, and more like a sprint through a dungeon while the encounter deck rains hell on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.