Popular Tags: [View All]
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
A woman in another forum whose husband likes mostly table top war games and Games Workshop games posted asking for suggestions for games that would work for both a beginner (herself) andan advanced player (her husband).

She obviously wants to make her husband happy and find games he'll like that she can play, but on the forum she's getting some suggestions unrelated to wargaming ("play cooperative games"). I figured it can't hurt to ask those of you who are our resident experts in the Wargaming forum to help her out.

Here's the thread:
Cliche female gamer and trying to be better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. Tough ask.... The problem is most wargames tend to reward experience and are heavily biased toward an advanced player.

I think the key is to find wargames that a) are relatively straightforward and b) have a decent luck element to even the playing field a bit.

I would recommend:
Memoir '44- easy rules, mini's, dice chucking.
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis- easy rules, some luck with card draws. If you like that, then graduate to Twilight Struggle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The more you can tell us about what you and your lucky husband are looking for, more valuable our recommendations can be.

Assuming you are looking for not too complicated wargame, and your husband likes miniature gaming, my first thought would be one of the Commands & Colors series: Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, or Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution. Kind-of a miniatures-board game cross; colorful, many scenarios, and several eras to choose from - Ancients could be the best to start. I find the command design a bit too gamey, but most people love it. There are also modern versions.

Alternatively, Victory Point Games' Leuthen: Frederick's Greatest Victory 5 December, 1757 is pretty simple and inexpensive.

Columbia Game's block games would also be a great place to start - maybe the best. Try: Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, Hammer of the Scots, or maybe Julius Caesar.

A little more complicated, but a very elegant representation of WWII squad combat would be Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer series. I like the infantry scenarios, I'm not so sure about the armor ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Do you like wargames because of the historical element or the player vs player aspect?

There are many war-themed games that aren't your usual hex and counter stuff you normally associate with wargames. The games I will recommend are light on rules, heavy on interaction, and mostly war-themed abstact games.

Block games that are good for beginners:
Sekigahara
Hammer of the Scots
Holdfast: Russia

Abstracted games:
Polis
Twilight Struggle

Wargames:
Washington's War
Breakout Normandy
Can I say Star Wars: Rebellion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Memoir and other C&C games.

If it is a hit, they can move on to C&C:A, which would give the experienced player a bit more depth and the beginner is still in it because of the dice and cards.

Plus, you have a ton of different themes to choose from. If fantasy is good, they can even customize armies with Battlelore.

I think this system is genius for how it can equalize different skill levels. Yea, the experienced player should win, but sometimes those dice and cards just don't work out.

My buddy was telling me yesterday that he played a game of Battlelore and didn't roll a hit for six turns in a row. He got steamrolled, but that is C&C for you. Makes for a great story.

Last game I played one unit of my undead knights were wiped out on the first turn. I didn't roll a hit and the other guy got a bonkers roll.

I still only lost the game by a point, which is why I say the system is really awesome.

Tell them to play a C&C game.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third vote for the C&C line... particularly C&C Ancients. GREAT system that is easy to learn, fun, and has a HUGE number of scenarios available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
The C&C family is probably the best suggestion but given that the husband is into Games Workshop stuff, the best C&C game might actually be BattleLore (Second Edition), with Memoir '44, Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition and The Great War as alternatives in the realm of historical situations. I'm a block guy myself, but I think the OP and her husband would prefer the minis ones and it seems historicity is not important (I interpreted "tabletop wargames" + the GW hat tip to mean he's mostly playing fantasy miniatures games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
But what do I spend it all on?
badge
Ohhh... G4GG!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:

I think the gentle advice is to follow the provided link to the original thread, and provide your considered suggestions there.
(It's rather unlikely she's looking at this thread, and may not even realise it exists!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that popped into my head was "Block Games!" Although not all are entry level war-games, something like Commands & Colors (Ancients, Napoleonics) are fun to play. Some of Columbia Games' offerings (Hammer of the Scots, as mentioned already) might also be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
See? I knew our wargamers would have good answers, but please click the thread I linked to in my OP and give your answers to the lady that needs them.

She's new to the geek and didn't know to post her question here, so she was getting answers that weren't what she was asking for. So I posted here with a link to her thread.

I'm SO sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.