There was a book (or possibly a series of 2-3 books) that I vaguely remember reading back when I was in upper elementary school that I can't remember either the titles or author of.

I read them in the late 70s, and they were already older books.

The book (or series) was about a group of kids in a village in Europe (possibly Holland or Denmark) possibly in teh interwar period, who ran around at night and played war games with a rival group of kids. They had a War of the Roses thing with some combination of red, white,a nd black rose groups. As I recall, they used a special language for secret messages - a "thieves tongue" that was something like pig latin.

The feel of the books, as I remember them, is something like the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome.

Since I am now an uncle and a teacher, I am always tryingt o find the best books from my childhood to share with my nephew and my students.

ON a visit to my parents, I even searched the children's section of the library where I grew up, but couldn;t find it/them (the library does weed older titles out of their collection every few years).

Does anyone have any ideas on what this book (or series) might be?

Thanks for your assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not much help but I wonder if they were speaking "Bargoens" or "verlan" or "marols" (Dutch, french or flemish).

Wish I could help. .. it sounds like exactly the kind of thing in would have read myself, and I might have even, but I've got nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is Astrid Lindgren's books about Kalle Blomkvist.

I fast check says they are called "Bill Bergson" in english.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bergson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john brown
United States
freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news is i'm certain those are the books the op is looking for, the bad news is out of print (at least the english versions) and even used copies can be expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doomfarer wrote:

Thanks!

Solved in just six hours!

The funny thing is I always remembered them as being next to the Pippi Longstocking books in the library, but have had numerous people tell me that Astrid Lindgren never wrote anything like what I described. *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Found one at $11 including postage.

The others are WAAAAAAAAAY more expensive.

Will note them for used book shopping expeditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:

Thanks!

Solved in just six hours!

The funny thing is I always remembered them as being next to the Pippi Longstocking books in the library, but have had numerous people tell me that Astrid Lindgren never wrote anything like what I described. *sigh*

You could just have asked any swede above the age of 30 or so.

Unfortunately I feel that many of Lindgren's books are getting a bit dated. This one is still ok having read it to my kids some years back. The pace is slow at start but picks up after a while. The main problem, at least in the original Swedish version, is that the language is full of 1940's slang that is hard to grasps nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Personally, I like books (and other media) that take you to a different time. But then again, I'm a History teacher. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.