John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played another game of Star Trek: Ascendancy today.
This time the factions were, Kent as the Federation
Kent W T
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
, Al as the Romulans
William Hay
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
, and myself as the Klingons.
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This was a very unusual game; well at least compared to the other two games I've played so far.

Before first contact, the colonizable systems ended up as follows:
Federation: 8 including Earth (also 1 Hazardous Phenomenon, 1 other Hazard)
Romulans: 10 including Romulus (also 1 Hazardous Phenomenon, 3 other Hazards)
Klingons: 5 including Kronos (also 5 Hazardous Phenomenon, 2 other Hazards)

Early on, one colonizable system, Capella, was lost to the Planet Eater during the Klingon turn. This was indicative of the luck the Klingons had until late game.

Kent's Federation took off quickly having 6 systems under their control when the Klingons and Romulans had only 3 systems apiece in their respective Empires. With all these Resources flowing back to Earth, the Federation improved their Weapons and Shield tech 2 levels each. In the final battles between the Federation and Romulans, the Romulans could not penetrate the Federation's Ships Shields. The Federation achieved Ascendancy Level 4 at game end. The Federation constructed 2 Starbases.

While the Romulans had 10 possible systems for Colonization within reach they would only manage to place 3 within the Romulan Empire and yet manage to almost win the game! With 2 Culture nodes within their Empire, early in the game, the Romulans steadily increased their Ascendancy Level. The Romulans had to devote many Production Resources to fleet building when the Federation made First Contact with them at Deneb V. Deneb V, which had a Culture and Research node, would be the target of 3 or 4 Federation Hegemony attempts but would hold out till game end. The Romulans had 3 Starbases by game end.

The Klingon Empire struggled early in the game with ship losses due to encountering 7 Hazards, 5 of these were Phenomenon, in 10 of the systems within their sphere of influence. In fact, the Klingons would lose every ship that ended their movement within a system containing a Hazard! Most Klingon turns ended with no ships on the map and with only 2 Production nodes, delayed Klingon progress as they had to replace their lost ships from the previous turn. The Klingons did have 2 Research nodes early and 3 by game end, and used these to invest heavily in Advancements. By game end, they had 5 Advancements and had advanced their Weapon tech 2 levels. The Klingon Empire had 2 Starbases at game end.

When the Federation looked like they were running away with the game, the Klingons made First Contact with the Romulans; of course this was through a Hazardous Phenomenon resulting in ship loss and delaying the formation of a Trade Alliance until the next turn. Once the Klingon-Romulan Trade Alliance was formed both sides were able to start building up their respective fleets in preparation with the inevitable conflict with the Federation.

The Klingons made contact with the Federation when three Klingon fleets exited warp, with 18 vessels, and converged on the Izar system in Federation space. Rather than trying to take over the system, the Klingons used "Planetary Bombardment" to destroy the Federation Colony on Izar; Izar had a Production, Research, and Culture node. The Klingon fleet then advanced on the Federation system of Ardana, another of the Federation's tri-resource systems. Ardana would repulse the Klingon fleet forcing it to retreat and the Federation fleets would follow up and destroy the remnants of the Klingon fleet but the damage was done. The loss of Izar would become important later on when the Federation did not have enough Culture Tokens to advance to level 5 Ascendancy when they failed to take Deneb V from the Romulans.

On the last turn, the Romulans had enough Culture Tokens to advance to Level 5 for the win. The Klingons had 4 Culture Tokens, needing 1 more. If the Klingons could destroy three enemy ships in one Battle they would gain a Token and advance to Level 5. The Federation won the bid for first player, followed by the Klingons and then the Romulans. The Federation spread out their ships to deny a large glorious battle with the Klingons so the Klingons had to turn their attention to the former Trade Partner, the Romulans. Knowing Klingon treachery was coming, in their previous turn, the Romulans had also attempted to prevent a large fleet battle but the Klingons had enough Commands to fight thru the Romulan screening ships and engage the Romulan Fleet at Romulus. The Klingons had 6 ships and needed 3 hits for the win. The Klingons just managed to destroy 3 Romulan ships, gained their 5th Culture Token, and advanced to Level 5 Ascendancy. The Klingons won the tie-breaker, number of controlled systems, over the Romulans for the game win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! Having played some games now, I understood what you were talking about. Your game was different than any I've played, but a variation on the common theme. Thanks.

Isn't it fun when all three players are in it until the end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for writing this detailed and entertaining report, with photos!

How long did it take to complete the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the space mat - and then I realize it is from that *other* franchize! How did the Trek ships not burst into flame?

Thanks for the wonderful session report. I do want to get this game to the table again - and soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Great report! Having played some games now, I understood what you were talking about. Your game was different than any I've played, but a variation on the common theme. Thanks.

Isn't it fun when all three players are in it until the end?

Quitting the game and restarting was contemplated based on how well the Feds were doing early and how badly the Roms and Klingons were doing! It was quite comical actually. I'm glad we soldiered on. The victory was so much sweeter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Thank you for writing this detailed and entertaining report, with photos!

How long did it take to complete the game?

This was our fastest game yet, about 2.5hours. We had met at Noon and were done and packed up around 3pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Love the space mat - and then I realize it is from that *other* franchize! How did the Trek ships not burst into flame?

Thanks for the wonderful session report. I do want to get this game to the table again - and soon!

Yes. That was our thoughts too when we played it the first time with the mat. On Saturday we had Star Trek: Ascendancy and Star Wars: Rebellion side by side. Fortunately no Rebels or Imperials showed up in our game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report! I so want this game:p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:

Most of my friends like both franchises as they scratch different itches. Both are great, and there is room enough for both in my heart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Report, and thanks for adding the pictures.

I'm getting pretty excited about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is a 3x3' mat a fair way to bound the game space? It seems hard to make a 4-sided space fair for a 3 player game. Or is it really that important?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group thinks it works with no problem.

If someone in your group gripes about it you can always do it like you divide up cake between kids, one cuts the cake, in this case place the three locations, and the others pick the piece of cake they want, choose which of the locations placed they want to start their empire at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lynch
msg tools
My session ended in a similar way - pursuing the victory through defeating enemy fleets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.