Subject: The Brusilov Offensive AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Play: The Brusilov Offensive, from SPI's The Great War in the East.

Today I played a game I haven't broken out in over 35 years. I had a bit a time so I decided to solo "The Brusilov Offensive," published in 1978 as part of the GWitE quadrigame.

Set up is pretty straight forward, taking about 30 minutes. The hex numbers are on the counter, which helps a lot. Here is the initial set up

The splines in the middle mark the German Sudarmee, which isn't effected by the "panic" rules like the rest of the Austo-Hungarian armies.

I was a bit rusty after 30 years or so but the game played as smoothly as I remembered. I had to look up a few rules, but overall the rules are very well written, with just a few lines of errata.

I realized right away that the Russians faced a problem with their command and control. Here is a picture showing units not allocated to the command allowance of the various HQ's. The units marked in yellow "OOC" have to roll to move. That can put a real damper on moving an entire army fast.

The Russian offensive went pretty well, if a bit slower than historical, with the German reinforcements arriving in driblets to block the most critical holes. I opted as the Russian to take the "Special Guards Army"(SGA)on GT 6, which cost me 6 victory points, but gave me some crazy strong units to slap the Central Powers around with. Historically this army was committed later in the summer.

The commitment of the SGA gave the the power I needed to take Kovel, a critical rail junction worth 8 victory points. It also gave me options to switch up my attacks left and right and exploit any weaknesses I could find--and there were some.

The Germans launched an ill-prepared counter offensive with three of their extremely effective divisions. Using their command bonuses and "massed artillery fire" gave them every advantage. But the attack miscarried and resulted in heavy losses the strapped CP player could ill afford.

The Russians managed to hold on to Kovel by the skin of their teeth, sacrificing one of the Guard Corps of the SGA to hold on with its last step.

The result was a substantial Russian victory (57 victory points).

I'd really forgotten how fun this game is, and how much I like the system. It's simple, and plays fast, but has a lot of detail, like limited command capacity, supply, rail movement restrictions, and lots of action.

A really enjoyable way to spend a very hot Sunday afternoon indoors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Very nice. Love the top-view photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul. Good to see a session report on one of my favorites from back in the day

And like Markus loved the photo's !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Thanks Paul. Good to see a session report on one of my favorites from back in the day

And like Markus loved the photo's !

Thanks guys, coming from you two that is high praise, indeed. Loved playing this again. I really like this system, even after all these years. I do have an observation about the rules, but I'll post it in the rules section. I'll be curious what you guys think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hopefully, Serbia/Galicia next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well done! Thanks for sharing!

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter vejdo
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent replay
SPI at its best
best gamebox art in my view by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.