Subject: Corruption and Fire Checks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I get that the game should swing more often in favour of the sins player. But with the burst mechanism on corruption and fire checks my heroes are getting smashed.

In three games I lost FOUR heroes to fire or corruption checks....in one space in one turn..... it was brutal.
It's absolutely crushing when it happens more than once in a few games. I mean five burst symbols rolled on fire and you can't do anything about it?

The frustrating thing I find is that to cleanse the area you first have to get into that space, which requires a F&C check before you can even cleanse.

I mean..... does anyone have any advice on this? I just can't figure out how to beat the F&C checks. Even if they only roll one or two wounds for fire and you aren't successful in your cleansing, then that's either a whole other turn wasted attempting (no guarantees - you might still fail) to cleanse again or, if you need to do something else now then it is another F&C check.

When these checks alone count for two of the required kills for the sin player......man that is a huge advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClericID wrote:
five burst symbols rolled on fire and you can't do anything about it?

You do realise the odds of 5 consecutive burst symbols is 1/6^5 = 1/7776?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
ClericID wrote:

......and yet it happened - twice.

The other times the heroes died was from corruption or fire checks they had to make to get in and cleanse the area - doing two or three damage over two turns - or to heal themselves with the city action.
I probably wasn't clear in my post - apologies.

I love the game - but man was/am I frustrated at the F&C checks. They seem ridiculously powerful at times......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your dice must be weighted or the sins player is up to something fishy if this is happening a lot. Statistics are against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Turcotte
Canada
Ste-Therese
Québec
flag msg tools
Same here we play for the first time yesterday and 2 or 3 hit on fire check are not uncommon , and if you mix that with 2 abobination on the same space (6 SIN DICE) it very easy to kill a heroes in 1 turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I've had a handful of heroes die, from fire and corruption check, but never from full hp to 0. The only mitigating factor for this mechanic is the items that you can get, the NPC that's ignores a f/c success, or the hero ability that says you can ignore 2.

I have yet to go from 0 to 5 wounds yet from a check, so I can't imagine how frustrating and unfair it must feel. When the sins is rolling with a space with fire and corruption dice, is he rolling then separately?

Example: space with 1 fire as 1 corruption
Sins:" rolling for fire" rolls 1 die, ok "rolling for corruption, now" rolls 1 die

Or is he rolling both dies at the same time and picking and choosing which one is for corruption and which one is for fire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musab Abdulla
Bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually faced the opposite. Most of the heroes are dancing through zones with multiple fire and corruption tokens and getting out without a single wound. It's especially annoying when I roll tentacles on fire checks and hits on corruption checks. Just the fickle whims of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
ClericID wrote:
Geoff wrote:
ClericID wrote:

......and yet it happened - twice.

So the lesson here is to tie your shoelaces before running into a building on fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Augustine
United States
AUSTIN
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To offer a counter note, I played a game yesterday on a fire heavy board, where I was able to place more fire every round, and only managed to land four damage vis fire for the entire game. That's the nature of dice games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Will with Proxy can clear the entire board in one round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For players, you really need to have your Fixer get the Proxy token asap. Also, getting upgrade cards, such as the hazmat suit really help take the sting out of F&C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msyterhe wrote:

I have yet to go from 0 to 5 wounds yet from a check, so I can't imagine how frustrating and unfair it must feel. When the sins is rolling with a space with fire and corruption dice, is he rolling then separately?

Example: space with 1 fire as 1 corruption
Sins:" rolling for fire" rolls 1 die, ok "rolling for corruption, now" rolls 1 die

Or is he rolling both dies at the same time and picking and choosing which one is for corruption and which one is for fire?

She rolls them one at a time and declares which she is rolling first. So that's all good.

Just bad luck it seems. The problem with the hazMat suit is obviously the random dealings. Can't get it if it isn't coming out to the table.

I've managed to wear it once and it definitely made a huge difference then.

Will try a few different tactics this weekend. Report back on some things. pleased to see I wasn't the only one suffering some hard dealings though.

Thanks team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonetheless the checks, esp. fire, are very dangerous.

I had one player go from 1 fire token into 2 tokens - and rolled hits on all three dice.

3 wounds from one movement was brutal (staying still not an option, an abomination was in the square which he couldn't defeat without massive dice luck) - and not a very stats busting 1 in 8 chance of it happening too (actually slightly lower, as I'm ignoring potential burst damage here)

I guess this sort of movement NEEDS the hazmat / NPC to be remotely safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.