Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bored the other day, so I tried to think up some interesting circumstance that I hadn't seen before for a rules question. I believe I found one, and I didn't see another thread that had a title similar to it, so I thought I would post it up here to ask people's opinions about it.

Let's say that Doctor Seward is in Lisbon. As you will notice, Lisbon only has 1 rail line coming out of it. Lord Godalming just encountered fog in Madrid. Let's say Doctor Seward rolls for rail and rolls a 1 on the train die. I can only think of 3 possible outcomes for this situation:

1. Because of the rule that "if you roll the train die and get a result of 1 or higher, you MUST move by train," Seward is forced to move into the fog, which breaks the rule of no hunter being able to move into already-encountered fog. We'll call this "Positive effect overrules Negative effect."

2. Because of the rule that "if fog has been encountered by another hunter, other hunters cannot move into... that space," Doctor Seward is forced to stay in Lisbon and cannot draw items or events since he had no legal move. We'll call this "Negative effect overrules Positive effect."

3. The rules from both #1 and #2 are ignored since they "cancel" each other out, and Doctor Seward is allowed to either stay in place and then heal or resupply, or move by road to either Santander or Cadiz (since those are the only 2 land spaces connected to Lisbon) and then heal or resupply, or he can move out to the Atlantic Ocean. We will call this "Neutral effect" since neither Positive nor Negative effect won the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's an official answer to this;the two most intuitive resolutions to this situation would be to either treat it as if the hunter had rolled either an X or a 0. Alternatively, you could let him reroll the die until he gets any result other than 1.

Ignoring the Fog is the one thing I wouldn't do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X is when you're detained. 0 is when there's no trains available. If you're only move is into the fog, that sounds like the train is canceled more than being detained so I would let the hunter move by road (or whatever) if they wanted to. No way is he training into the fog though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.