Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: Is it generally a really long game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
We just played a 6 person turn-by-turn game -- everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. But it was about 3 hours long! Anyone else have this experience? Pretty sure we had the rules right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players, why turn based!?

But yes this will happen if you play it turn based. Players are much more effective at everything they do if they can plan everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the extent of analysis paralysis and on the capabilities of the Captain and his crew. From my experience a turn by turn game should normally take no longer than 80 or 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways I admire you played this turn based. I'd be interested to know if you've played it real time, and how you compare the two? Most, including me, have only really played it real time, and think it's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
Slashdoctor wrote:
6 players, why turn based!?

But yes this will happen if you play it turn based. Players are much more effective at everything they do if they can plan everything.

It was our first game (not counting a training game a couple of us played beforehand)! The plan was to play real-time after we got a hang of the game -- which didn't happen since it lasted so long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
jumpwalker wrote:
Depends on the extent of analysis paralysis and on the capabilities of the Captain and his crew. From my experience a turn by turn game should normally take no longer than 80 or 90 minutes.

Yes, I think we kept resetting it by using silence (and surfacing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
trevorandlinda wrote:
In some ways I admire you played this turn based. I'd be interested to know if you've played it real time, and how you compare the two? Most, including me, have only really played it real time, and think it's amazing.

No, not had a chance to play real-time yet. Everyone was too exhausted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jyothi wrote:
trevorandlinda wrote:

No, not had a chance to play real-time yet. Everyone was too exhausted!

Real time is much faster and a much better game. You go as fast and you can shout and execute your orders. If one side is faster than the other - all the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I can't believe you played it that long. Our games were all really fast, but then we played it real time. As much as I enjoyed the game and would like to play again, there's not a chance I'd play it turn-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Real time is ..... a much better game.

This is of course your opinion.

Real time and turn by turn are completely different experiences. Both work great. Depending on the number of players and the selected mode it differs from a light, pure fun and chaotic to a tense and nail-biting chess-like game. The flow of the game is strongly influenced by the personalities of the players involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
jumpwalker wrote:

Real time and turn by turn are completely different experiences. Both work great. Depending on the number of players and the selected mode it differs from a light, pure fun and chaotic to a tense and nail-biting chess-like game. The flow of the game is strongly influenced by the personalities of the players involved.

Yes, I very much agree to this. I played a two player learning game (turn by turn) before this -- and loved it.

Of course, now know how to play better for next time :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee K.
msg tools
I'm surprised the turn based game lasted that long. Our first game, a turn based game comprised completely of newcomers, lasted a scant 20 minutes. In a 3-hour evening, in addition to the turn-based game, we got 4 (maybe 5) more sessions completed all with ample time to switch teams around and go through short debriefings between missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
flag msg tools
mb
Clearly we don't have the hang of this :-(

A 2 player turn-based game lasted an hour yesterday.

How many were you playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roberts
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to use a chess timer to minimize analysis paralysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely play this in real-time whenever possible. Great, great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
When we played real time a game never went over half an hour. Most of the time just fifteen minutes.

We played about five games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.