Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephew just turned 7, and I'd like to get him started in the hobby. He already plays things like the I Spy games and recently got Battleship. What's another good game for that age that is a bit off the beaten path?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on his hobby or what kind of game you want to introduce to him. Here are several games that have been hit for son when he was 6:

Black Fleet a great delivery game, players play as merchant, pirate and navy at once. The production is very great, with beautiful map, cool ships and coins! The game is very confrontational (players regularly sink other players's ships) so you might want to consider that.

Arcadia Quest is also a confrontational game, like Black Fleet. Instead of controlling ships, players are controlling Guilds. Each guild has three members, each with their own power and beautiful mini.

Dungeon Petz cute worker placement game. Players control a family of imps and try to be the best monster breeder. They need to build cages, buy monsters and fulfil the monsters' needs before selling them. The game is oozing with cuteness but also playing it requires thinking.

Onward to Venus is the latest hit. It's an area control game with scifi theme. He likes playing with starship etc, travelling to planets and dealing with the crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete G
United Kingdom
Daventry
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 was the best game for this age with my kids. Just take out the cards with lots of txt on. Can't go wrong.

Dungeon! This was also a hit but not for as long as Memoir.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) This worked well although for some reason needed more hand-holding than the above games when played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is pretty fun and good for that age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Knoedler
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd seriously consider Forbidden Desert or Forbidden Island.

They're a great introduction to adventure board gaming, cooperative play and not unpleasant for adults to play! You can also progressively increase the difficulty levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Onward to Venus? The kid is seven for goodness sake.

Wings of Glory: WW1 Duel Pack

Super easy, super engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a nice uncle! You might think about what your nephew is into (e.g., dinosaurs, sports, etc.) and pick up a game with that theme. Also, is this a game that you want the family to play together, or that your nephew will play primarily with his own friends? If the latter, don't underestimate a nice backgammon set, Lord of the Rings Confrontation (basically Stratego), Street Soccer, etc. If the game is mainly for adults and kids to play together, then any of the classic gateway games (Carc., Lost Cities, etc.) might be something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
+1 to Castle Panic and Forbidden Island

My six and nine year old boys also like:
Hive, which they caught on way quicker than my husband did.
Greatest Treehouse Ever
Camel Up
Labyrinth
Roll for It
Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Trouble (not off the beaten path but who can resist the Pop-o-matic?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CribbageQueen wrote:
Hive, which they caught on way quicker than my husband did.

+1 for Hive (or the Hive Pocket)

My children (6 & 8) like abstracts. Currently they are playing lots of the following:

Connect Four
Pentago
Kalah (Kalah)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Knoedler
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Ha! I wasn't going to say it, but yes, let's not toss the child in the deep end too quickly.
Wings of Glory is a good game too. And if it really catches on you can open that door to Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

My son is seven as well, that's why I suggest Onward to Venus here. laugh

Granted, he is not playing "the optimal way" but he is interested in playing it, able to understand the gameplay using the proper rule and, the most important for us: he is interested in the theme. I found the game good to entice him on learning about solar system. But YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son will turn 7 in December.

The best game for him so far has been King of Tokyo. Very easy, very thematic and he can actually think through the strategy of whether to go for energy, punching, healing or victory points based on what he has rolled.

Another game that has worked has been (as others have said), Forbidden Island.

The family repeatedly goes back to Jamaica, Qwirkle and Colt Express is a recent addition that the whole family enjoys (including my four-year old daughter).

Also, my son can play Dominion and Star Realms. He's not a skilled deck builder by any stretch, but he grasps the concepts and can play fairly well. I have to shuffle his hand for him, however.

Cooperative games usually work well because you can guide him along as he plays. I also suggest Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game given the superhero theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 or UNO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other catch is that his parents are NOT gamers. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard scales
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Definitely qirkle then, non scary for non gamers, might even get the family drawn in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Sheep, how scary sheep be? +quick, good components, cute -aggressive play style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
PitchCar
Blokus (any)
Loopin' Louie
Qwirkle
Rhino Hero
Animal Upon Animal
Coconuts
Bausack
Spot it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahtitan wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. The joy of gaming is having fun with others as much as the fun one has playing the game.

In that case, I would recommend games that can be enjoyed as a family when you aren't there to game with your nephew. Start simple: a deck of cards and a book of games that can be played with it; a chess set (even checkers); Hive and/or Army of Frogs. And, of course, a Blokus!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I've had Grandma playing Wings of Glory, so don't rule it out. It's super easy and very fun for non-gamers as well. It can also be played by a couple of seven-year-olds without help.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Call Me Grantos
Canada
Orangeville (near Toronto)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to:

Camel Up
Pitch Car
Tumblin Dice
Forbidden Island
Pinata
10 Days Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Also, my son can play Dominion and Star Realms. He's not a skilled deck builder by any stretch, but he grasps the concepts and can play fairly well. I have to shuffle his hand for him, however.

My daughter was playing Star Realms at 7 though I mostly did the shuffling.
GeoffreyB wrote:

We tried this with my daughter and she had no idea what to do - as in she understood the mechanics of the game but clearly had no idea what she should be doing to try to win so it didn't work.

ahtitan wrote:

Yes something not too far off the beaten path is probably best then Qwirkle, Battle Sheep or something else that his parents can easily understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Ticket to Ride: First Journey might be a good one if he likes trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update: I went with Ticket To Ride: The First Journey, and it was a big hit! Thanks for all the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.