Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week?

mbAdditional WDYPTW information:

mbmbtobacco This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbtobacco WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbtobacco The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saved the world this week, sort of...

Tuesday
1x - Pandemic Legacy

Friday
1x - Pandemic Legacy

Saturday
2x - Pandemic Legacy

Sunday
1x - Lost Cities

The highlight of the week was most definitely completing Pandemic Legacy. I like the legacy concept and will definitely consider future designs that implement the mechanism. I find it interesting that some folks criticize the limited play value yet it seems to me many rarely play any game more than a handful of times. We are the opposite. We want to see 25+ plays out of any game we buy and absolutely enjoyed this limited play experience with a heftier price tag. Now back to our 10x10 Challenge and unplayed games...

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2016 List at 55/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday:
We Come in Peace x1
Deep Sea Adventure x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty decent week with 16 plays of 10 distinct games at different player counts (plus 2 PBF plays of my favourite game).

Tuesday

Eminent Domain
Cthulhu Wars - PBF

Wednesday

Eminent Domain
Beasty Bar 2x
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Catan
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Cthulhu Wars - PBF

Thursday

7 Wonders
RoboRally

Friday

Innovation
Eminent Domain

Sunday

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife
Innovation 3x
Camel Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all that much gaming going on here. Only three plays over the entire week. But still not bad, as they were very nice games. And one blew my mind and tickled my brain in a way that I like a lot

On Tuesday, GF and I had our first play of Vast: The Crystal Caverns. I backed it on KS after really liking the super-asymmetric concept. So I was very excited to play it. Even though we knew that it wouldn't shine at its brightest with two players, it had to be done. We played Goblins versus Dragon. Because we both had very different rule sets, it took a bit more time to get into it, but the game is actually quite playable in a 'take the rule sheet for your role and just get going' fashion, which is what we did. My Goblins spent most of the early game being little more than Dragon feed, but I managed a bit of a comeback. It was too late to stop her, tough, so I ended up losing. Still fun though

In the recent Benelux Math Trade, I acquired Age of Steam. I absolutely love Brass: Lancashire, so AoS immediately had me interested. Because it's a 3+ player game, and we were only two, I went ahead and printed Age of Steam Expansion: Scotland. This is the kind of game I really like. It touched my brain in all the right places I love how may moving pieces there are, while the rules are actually quite simple. Even if the rule book makes it appear otherwise (as with Brass). As for how the game went... I kindof locked my GF out of most of the map for most of the game. She was in a constant struggle to prevent bankruptcy, while I was merrily making money. I ended up winning the game with 68 to -15 VP, but she did make it through the entire game She didn't dislike the game though, so it's all good. We'll play it again, and chances are she'll whoop my behind.

On Sunday, we played another game of Vast: The Crystal Caverns. This time she played the Thief and I grabbed the Cave. This setup turned out to be a bit anticlimactic. She wasn't able to do very much on most turns, while I was merrily shaping my cave. When I managed to destroy the few tokens she very much needed to win, playing out the last ten minutes of the game on autopilot, just watching me win wasn't that much fun. Not the best setup, I guess. Though I'd still like to try it out with reversed roles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday-

Jaipur
Star Realms
Kingdom Builder

Saturday-

Trophy Buck
Starfarers of Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games for me

Grandpa Beck's Cover Your A$$ets I light filler game we played for the benefit of our hosts 7 year old son (who completely trounced us in it with a well timed steal of a $150 000+ asset he was able to defend for an entire round right at the end of the game). I would play this again as I found it entertaining, fast and had just a dash of actual tactical play to it.

Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game very enjoyable 5 player game with the Kabal (Thanos, Maximus, Proxima Midnight, and Namor) teaming up with Loki and the Enchantress to try and stop those pesky heroes from building a Mega Vault Prison. We went up against Superior Iron Man and his Uru-enhanced cronies as well as their buddies Spider Friends, the Defenders and XMen First Class. This was one of the first times we had gone all Villains on our side (usually we mix Heroes and Villains) and while we didn't win (the adversary deck ran out with the Commander having only 1 card left) it was a tight fought battle with just enough backstabbing to keep it hilarious.

Ticket to Ride: Europe having played the original Ticket to Ride a lot back in the day I wasn't too excited about this version. I knew very little about it but I have to say it was a big hit with me! I might have to go get a copy for myself as it really breathed new life into what had become, to me, a stale and dull game. Didn't place very well (4th out of 5 players) but had a fun time losing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of late nights at work so the only game I got in all week was my first solo game of Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection.
I had to miss both game nights this past week, but I am hoping work slows this week so I can make up for my lack of games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Tuesday
Stick Stack. I'm not a big dexterity game fan, but this one looked cool and my wife had a friend coming over for dinner and wanted a "fun" game to play, which meant not things like the games we already had. We played one round, we think it might be too easy. Got within two sticks of putting all 36 of them on there.

Wednesday
Patchwork. My wife delivered me a 24 to -17 butt whipping. I don't know what I was doing.

Friday
San Juan (second edition). First time trying using a monuments strategy and it paid off as my wife couldn't put together her beloved bank/tower combo.

Saturday
Taboo x3. We were having dinner with three other couples and the host brought out this and Codenames, but I suggested Taboo because I know my wife likes it and I hate playing when it's only 4 people. Men vs women and the dudes won 2 games to 1. Having a bunch of mid 90s references was pretty funny. Things like email, modem, Linda Tripp, America Online, Chelsea Clinton, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More
Kraftwagen
Patchwork
Pandemic x2
Friday x4
Ra
Coconuts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakarias Johansson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
4x Roll for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Livingstone I Presume (Pacificon Playtest Game)
Franchise Mobiler (Pacificon Playtest Game)
Vikings on the Volga
Supreme Commander
Axis and Allies
Dark Valley
Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Birkett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Betrayal At House on the Hill
Cul-De-Sac Conquest
Supernatural Socks
Boss Monster
Smash Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jedediah Spencer
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
08/31/2016
----------
1x - Tokaido

09/03/2016
----------
1x - Happy Pigs
2x - 7 Wonders Duel

09/04/2016
----------
1x - 7 Wonders Duel

Was a light week for gaming this week.

I did just pick up Happy Pigs, 7 Wonders Duel, and Above and Below. Haven't gotten a chance to play the latter yet. My wife ended up kicking my butt 2-1 overall in 7 Wonders Duel beating me once by a military conquest and in our tiebreaker round by 6 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
2x Signorie
1x Dice City with Dice City: All That Glitters
1x Goa

Saturday
2x Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China
1x Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game
1x Above and Below
1x Terra Mystica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadows over camelot x 1
Stockpile x 4
One Night Ultimate Werewolf x 3
Hanabi x 1
Star Realms x 2
The Voyages of Marco Polo x 1
The Gallerist x 1
Flash point: Fire rescue x 2
Pandemic x 2

Board games <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sail to India
New Bedford
Mystic Vale
Via Nebula
Viticulture Essential Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Small World X1
The Web x1
Lost Legacy: The Starship x6
5 Alive x1
Citadels x1
BANG! The Dice Game x2
King of Tokyo x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Cosmic Encounter
2 x Pandemic with my wife.
1 x Welcome to the Dungeon
While I liked the game, it ran way too long for what it is. We played it as a "filler" game while we waited for more people to show up and it took about 45 minutes to learn and play. I like my fillers 10-20 minutes.
1 x Paperback
Trying to find a strategy with this one...go after the letters? The abilities? Early and available points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday the 3rd
1x Terra Mystica
1x Le Havre
1x The Castles of Burgundy

Sunday the 4th
2x Terra Mystica
1x Dice Town
1x Lords of Waterdeep
1x Brass: Lancashire

Monday the 5th
1x Terra Mystica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft x2
Bottom of the 9th x3
Targi x1
7 Wonders Duel x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans | 4p
Dark Moon | 5p
Glass Road | 3p

Hmm, probably not a good sign if I can clearly remember all the games I played without having to look them up :\ I ended up doing as much video gaming instead of more board gaming, but still fun none of the less. Video games played are posted here.....

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/videogame/143979/super-smash-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Kids:
1x Tokaido
1x Catan Junior

With the lads:
1x 4 player Scythe!

looking forward to playing some Vast Crystal Caverns soon having received that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.