Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fliers attacking ground units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, flying here is so much more contrived than in MtG.
Here are my assumptions, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. If a flying unit decides to attack a ground unit, it deals damage to that ground unit, but the ground unit doesn't deal damage to the flier.

2. If flying unit attacks anti-air unit, it won't deal damage to it, because flier doesn't "fly over" it.

3. If there are multiple anti-air patrollers and a flier "flies over" them, they all deal anti-air damage.

4. Anti-air units which arn't patrolling won't deal anti-air damage to an attacking flier.

5. There are no ways for a ground attacker to damage a flier in attack, not even with anti-air...

6. ...except for sparkshot, which doesn't check for ground/flying damage type.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct
2. Wrong. Anti-air units also deal damage in direct combat with a flying unit.
3. Correct
4. Correct, unless the flyer is attacking them. See 2
5. Wrong for anti-air units. Those can attack and damage flyers
6. Except for the exception, this is correct. Not sure if there are any specific cards with unique abilities that affect this question though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the definition of "Anti-Air" from the Keywords and Glossary section of the rulebook.

Codex Rulebook wrote:
Anti-air

Can attack fliers, but can ignore patrolling fliers. Deals combat damage to fliers it fights or that fly over this while it patrols.


So in answer to your questions:

Random_Phobosis wrote:
1. If a flying unit decides to attack a ground unit, it deals damage to that ground unit, but the ground unit doesn't deal damage to the flier.


Right.

Quote:
2. If flying unit attacks anti-air unit, it won't deal damage to it, because flier doesn't "fly over" it.


Both things deal damage to each other.

Quote:
3. If there are multiple anti-air patrollers and a flier "flies over" them, they all deal anti-air damage.


Right.

Quote:
4. Anti-air units which arn't patrolling won't deal anti-air damage to an attacking flier.


Unless the flier is attacking them specifically.

Quote:
5. There are no ways for a ground attacker to damage a flier in attack, not even with anti-air...


Incorrect; anti-air will do it.

Quote:
6. ...except for sparkshot, which doesn't check for ground/flying damage type.


Sparkshot would also work, as you say. I think that might be the only other "keyword" ability that allows a ground attacker to damage a flier.


EDIT: Doh! ninja'ed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's more complicated than in MtG, though with this clearing-up around anti-air, hopefully it seems a little more logical

I like flying in Codex a lot. The fact that flying units are great on offense but are generally poor patrollers is a tradeoff that's worth thinking about, as opposed to MtG where fliers have pretty much no downside.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is not so bad. If you just keep the RTS theme in mind, it makes sense. If a flying unit attacks a non-flying unit, it cannot hit back unless it has anti air.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Is it more complicated than MTG?

The big difference is in MTG the flier can only "attack." never "attack something" so it's slightly more complicated just because there are more variations.

But basically Anti-Air is "Reach" in MTG with the primary difference being: if a flier attempts to fly past a unit with reach, it still gets damaged.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) So a fler can ignore a patrol zone of non-flying, non-anti air defenders?

2) So a non-flyer can ignore a patrol zone of all flyers?

3) A Flyer can attack a non-flier, and the flyer will take no damage

4) A non-flying non-anti air unit cannot attack a flier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
1) So a fler can ignore a patrol zone of non-flying, non-anti air defenders?

2) So a non-flyer can ignore a patrol zone of all flyers?

3) A Flyer can attack a non-flier, and the flyer will take no damage

4) A non-flying non-anti air unit cannot attack a flier.


Correct. A flyer can also ignore a patrol of a ti-air units, but they'll take damage in the process. And if a flyer attacks an anti-aircraft unit, they'll take damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
1) So a fler can ignore a patrol zone of non-flying, non-anti air defenders?

2) So a non-flyer can ignore a patrol zone of all flyers?

3) A Flyer can attack a non-flier, and the flyer will take no damage

4) A non-flying non-anti air unit cannot attack a flier.


Correct. A flyer can also ignore a patrol of a ti-air units, but they'll take damage in the process.


From each anti-aircraft defender? Or from on of the attacker or defenders choice?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
1) So a fler can ignore a patrol zone of non-flying, non-anti air defenders?

2) So a non-flyer can ignore a patrol zone of all flyers?

3) A Flyer can attack a non-flier, and the flyer will take no damage

4) A non-flying non-anti air unit cannot attack a flier.


Correct. A flyer can also ignore a patrol of a ti-air units, but they'll take damage in the process.


From each anti-aircraft defender? Or from on of the attacker or defenders choice?



Everyone that they bypass on their way to the target.

For example, imagine an anti-air in both squad leader and elite.

If a flyer ignores them both to attack base, they take dmg from both anti-air units (+1 for the elite benefit).

If a flyer ignores the squad leader to attack a third patroller, say in the lookout slot, the flyer will only take dmg from the squad leader.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
But would a ground unit take damage from a flying patroler? Even though the flying patroler does not stop the ground unit.

Edit: According to another post they do not damage the ground unit because flying would become OP otherwise. Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrownedGod wrote:
But would a ground unit take damage from a flying patroler? Even though the flying patroler does not stop the ground unit.

Edit: According to another post they do not damage the ground unit because flying would become OP otherwise. Correct?


The ruling is correct. I forget the actual reasoning so I wouldn't assume it's because it would be OP (although at the current unit costs it might be).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.