Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: After a few plays, some thoughts on player scaling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this a few weeks, and have played the first scenario 7 times, and the second one twice (both defeats).

For Scenario 1, 5 games were with 2 survivors, and once with 3. Yesterday we played with 5, which was the first time with a big group.

a few things struck me about playing the game with a bigger group.

1. We only had the same number of starting items, which turned out to be one heavy weapon (2x4). We evenutally managed to acquire a few things over the course of the game
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(The knife from the kitchen fairly early on, a broken bottle after the whisky had been drunk, an attack spell from the pile of papers in the hallway, and finally a sledgehammer from the conservatory,)
but for much of the game, lots of people were attacking monsters unarmed.

2. The pace felt very different. I haven't been keeping track of number of turns in any of the games, but although this one felt quite long, and took about 2-3 hours, as far as scenario events go
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we managed to disrupt the ritual before the portal was opened, and didn't get any Star Spawns coming through the tear between worlds.

3. Overall, I couldn't decide whether there were more monsters than in a game with a lower player-count. We struggled a bit with combat, but that was due to a mixture of appalling dice-rolls from Rita (who literally didn't have a clue), and Wendy hiding in the bathroom, and not wanting to fight. It felt like with a bit better coordination, we could have had combat wrapped up fairly easily.

Still a great game. Won in the nick of time, with Rita being eliminated (insane then another 5 horror), and Yorick and Wendy both having to carry Agatha for her to complete the investigation on the final turn. (Min Thi was insane and pursuing her own unsuccessful agenda).

Have other people had any more experience with varied player-counts? how do you feel the game scales?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Mightyjim wrote:
Have other people had any more experience with varied player-counts? how do you feel the game scales?

One of the ways the game scales is that the number of hit points the monsters have increases with the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

Still a great game. Won in the nick of time, with Rita being eliminated (insane then another 5 horror), and Yorick and Wendy both having to carry Agatha for her to complete the investigation on the final turn. (Min Thi was insane and pursuing her own unsuccessful agenda).

Um... don't mean to rain on your parade, but if ANY investigator is eliminated at any time, the game ends. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Um... don't mean to rain on your parade, but if ANY investigator is eliminated at any time, the game ends. whistle

Once eliminated, the remaining investigators get one more round aka investigator phase, to try and win, if they don't, then game ends.

Edit typo/clarification of round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
BreadRising wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Not exactly. The remaining investigators still have one more Investigator Phase before they lose. The game only ends immediately if all investigators are eliminated.
page 8 RR wrote:
When an investigator is eliminated, the remaining investigators
lose the game at the end of the next investigator phase.
• If all investigators are eliminated, the game ends immediately,
and all investigators lose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it solo, 2p/3p/4p and 5p. I have not noticed an increase in monsters, there are usually enough starting items for everyone to have at least one item and the monster's health is higher. The starting items vary each game so sometimes there are spells and weapons, sometimes only one. I've enjoyed it at all player counts so far. Although at 4-5P when almost everyone goes insane, it gets s bit crazy with people trying to fulfill their own new agendas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
BreadRising wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Not exactly. The remaining investigators still have one more Investigator Phase before they lose. The game only ends immediately if all investigators are eliminated.
page 8 RR wrote:
When an investigator is eliminated, the remaining investigators
lose the game at the end of the next investigator phase.
• If all investigators are eliminated, the game ends immediately,
and all investigators lose the game.

exactly - that was why we had to carry Agatha - if Rita's mind hadn't given up on her, we'd have just taken another round, and she could have walked there with her dignity intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
The scenarios are balanced by monster health and furthermore different scenarios will have other more subtle events.

For example in the first scenario the more investigators you are, the less rounds you have before the ritual completes.

However with that said i will say that in my experience even with this balancing i have found that the scenarios have been easier with a higher player count since you can cover ground much easier, the mythos events wont strike one player quite as often, and one player doing really poorly wont hurt the team as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.