8 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Variants

Subject: Looking for 2 v 2 team variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We've played LoW a ton of times and there's definitely a best and worst player amongst the 4 of us. It would be interesting to play some sort of team variant with strongest and weakest player in one team and middle players in another.

Does anyone have any team variants. Simplest way would just be combine scores at the end but I'd like to see something with more team interaction but not going as far as completely shared everyhing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One very simple option would be to say that the team score is the lower of the team members' score. That would promote interaction between team members, I would think, as it immediately becomes important to maximise both scores, rather than just hoping for a very high score from one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
One very simple option would be to say that the team score is the lower of the team members' score. That would promote interaction between team members, I would think, as it immediately becomes important to maximise both scores, rather than just hoping for a very high score from one player.

I like it as a win condition. I think I'd just like to add some way to transfer resources with some cost or limitation so teammates don't have pooled resources but can still help each other out more actively than just visiting each others buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

This is very simple yet interesting variant! This will make intrigue cards which allow players to choose another player for various beneficial effects are more desirable to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

This is very simple yet interesting variant! This will make intrigue cards which allow players to choose another player for various beneficial effects are more desirable to play!

Thanks. Can't say it's mine - stolen from the likes of Ingenious and Between Two Cities. I think it will work well here.

As for other ways to share resources without pooling them all, how about a "building of sharing" - send an agent there to transfer one or two "things" - adventurers, cash, cards, whatever makes sense - you'd have to play test it. And speaking of play testing, did you try with a common pool of resources between player teams? It might work well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
As for other ways to share resources without pooling them all, how about a "building of sharing" - send an agent there to transfer one or two "things" - adventurers, cash, cards, whatever makes sense - you'd have to play test it. And speaking of play testing, did you try with a common pool of resources between player teams? It might work well...

We haven't tried a common resource pool, but I like your idea of a building of sharing a lot better. Using an action as a cost seems so obvious in hindsight. I'll discuss it with the group to see what amount of resources can be exchanged sounds good. I might consider adding another building that gives your partner control of one of your agents the following round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes. I'll be really interested to hear your results. Might even try it this way myself next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad proposed a team variant today - himself and my younger son against my older son and me. (Younger son has played a lot fewer times.)

The rules we used were: open information within the team as to each other's lords and intrigue cards, but no trading/sharing of resources. Combined scores would determine the winning team.

My older son and I ended up winning by a decent margin, although youngest son had the highest individual score. Older son and I were definitely more strategic in planning when to play intrigue cards, but both teams got into coordinating which action spaces and which quests to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.