$30.00
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Result of a a German SS Company assaulting an American Replacement Company - - - - when Donna Commands the Americans !

I'm humbled. Lost by Surrender AND 49 points (Doubled elimination pts.) Those inexperienced Americans were TOUGH !

In our 7 games on holiday we have - - -

5 wins by Donna

5 wins by the Americans

6 wins by the defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to say but wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Ouch. You could console yourself by joining 'CC is just random stuff anyway' club but sadly we both know that isn't true...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing CC, I not infrequently find myself quoting David Bowie--"God is an American."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to tune your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Americans do get a lot of fire cards, don't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen something like that only playing Ichiki Attacks from CC: P.

I remember I lost that as the Japanese and I had been taunting my opponent that I'd come back like a good kung fu hero who'd been knocked around and win that one. We had to rotate VP marker several times to keep the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of result backs up Combat Commander's historicity, as more than once in the war inexperienced US troops in the crunch punched way over their weight, and indeed the SS were the recipients at least once and I think more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You, my friend, have been "Donna kebab-ed"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pun, Whatambush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chick,

Now I don't want to take anything away from Donna's CC skills, but I have found those SS units to be extremely tough to eliminate since their morale goes to 10 when they break. If they are in any kind of cover a Recover card will almost always rally them.

How did it happen? Were you playing on the wide open map (#23)? Did she win a bunch of melees?

When one of my friends gets elite Germans in the RSG he always picks an SS unit and always rips me apart even if my troops are elite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donna's green Americans had built a bunker complex, and sited it cleverly in hedgerow terrain so that my boys couldn't see them until we were standing in wire and mines in the road. I couldn't easily flank them on a narrow map, so gathered the cards I would need, fired smoke from my 81mm mortars and moved up adjacent. Smoke was promptly breezed away and my only 2 radius leader was sent to the elimination track, I should have kept him further back. Backup leader (radius 1) knew that the only chance was to continue forward, but two crucial SS squads failed to recover (needed 7 or less and 8 or less) and when I advanced those two broken squads plus one broken and one unbroken team into her bunker hex, she won the melee. After that there was more shooting, more leaders eliminated, more casualties. For the finale, a bold, leaderless broken SS squad which had also failed to recover, advanced solo into another bunker hex and played 3 ambushes. Unfortunately, Donna's Americans also had an ambush. BUT THE FINAL CARD IN MY HAND WAS A LIGHT WOUNDS ! So, broken American squad with 3 fp versus broken German Elite team with 1 fp. She drew a nine, and I couldn't manage boxcars, therefore we were driven to surrender.

As Joelist said, those Ami kids 'punched way above their weight'.

My Company just hit the main line of resistance, and kept advancing forward, but never managed to win a melee. A wave turned to foam against a rocky shore. Sobering.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.