Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't now if I'm going crazy, but earlier this year, when checking the dates, I thought I saw a date closer to the beginning of October (6-9). Am I imagining things or did the date actually change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was last year's weekend. This year's date was not changed for at least a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you were checking out 2015, instead of 2016. Last year, SPIEL was pretty early in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm pretty sure (I guess) it said 2016 next to it. I know last year was earlier. Oh well. Thanks for confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I don't now if I'm going crazy, but earlier this year, when checking the dates, I thought I saw a date closer to the beginning of October (6-9). Am I imagining things or did the date actually change?

I booked a hotel for 2016 in December 2015 so I doubt the date changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also booked well inadvance and I am sure the date didn't change. Here are the dates of futures SPIEL conventions so we have a reference for the future
SPIEL 2017 October 26 - 29
SPIEL 2018 October 25 - 28
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asdoriak wrote:
I also booked well inadvance and I am sure the date didn't change. Here are the dates of futures SPIEL conventions so we have a reference for the future
SPIEL 2017 October 26 - 29
SPIEL 2018 October 25 - 28

NICE! That means I might go to my first Essen in one of those years. Week 42 just doesn't work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, so from 2017 onwards it'll be in late Oct instead of early Oct.

Any reason for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably school holidays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Probably school holidays

Definitely school holidays.

For some reason (except for pissing me off...) they're always picking the middle weekend of the 2 week-long autumn school holidays. Those school holidays' dates happen in October - sometimes starting on the 5th like in 2015, sometimes starting on the 23rd like in 2017.
Following that logic (which has been stable for the last ten years or so), I'd expect the 2018 date to be October 18-21. The Messe Essen website doesn't list the date yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
Locu wrote:
Probably school holidays

Definitely school holidays.

For some reason (except for pissing me off...) they're always picking the middle weekend of the 2 week-long autumn school holidays. Those school holidays' dates happen in October - sometimes starting on the 5th like in 2015, sometimes starting on the 23rd like in 2017.
Following that logic (which has been stable for the last ten years or so), I'd expect the 2018 date to be October 18-21. The Messe Essen website doesn't list the date yet.

The reason is quite simple if you've been to Spiel when (for some reason) it fell outside the school holidays. Must be about 10 years ago now - on Thursday and Friday it was ok, but on Saturday it felt like *all* the kids of the area all decided to come in - the halls were overcrowded, worse than I've ever seen. So I don't blame them for scheduling it during the school holidays so as to spread the kids a bit over 4 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame them for purely egoistical reasons... My preferred days have always been Thursday and Friday. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
The reason is quite simple if you've been to Spiel when (for some reason) it fell outside the school holidays. Must be about 10 years ago now - on Thursday and Friday it was ok, but on Saturday it felt like *all* the kids of the area all decided to come in - the halls were overcrowded, worse than I've ever seen.

I'd like to have that back, I used to do all my wandering around and shopping on Thursday and Friday because the halls were so empty you could have driven a car in there. And then on Saturday/Sunday I just sat down at a big publisher and never left because it took an hour to even make it to the next hall.
So, yeah, from an organizer's point of view the current practice of sticking to the school holidays is probably the reasonable decision.

For the non-Germans: School holidays in Germany vary between the federal states and each state cycles through the different time slots from year to year. I don't know the exact formula but as I remember it, it's usually a shift of one week per year and then sometimes a big jump when going from first position to last or the other way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.