Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
My PhD thesis - available at all good booksellers... ;0)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be a wonderful game; but, will it really be £75.00 wonderful???

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/hands-in-the-sea-kickstarter-...

I think I am going to have to pass on this one... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

I paid around £72 (dollar rates being variable) all in with the companion guide and mini expansion for the KS, so £75 for the same thing sounds close. That does include p&p though which it wont for Boardgameguru.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The version without the Kickstarter extras is a bit cheaper:

http://www.hexasim.com/en/1831-Hands-in-the-Sea.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky that some friends got me this for my birthday, but boy! I wouldn't have paid that. I'm hitting my limit on these things. I looked at my purchases this year compared to last, I've bought maybe 50% or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

I'll have a better idea of value for money after I've played it

The components do look very nice and what I have seen of the narrative of the game it seems like a bunch of fun, so roll on arrival of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well hopefully we'll get our copies at the end of the week and we can make more informed judgements. The game does need to be really good to justify the expenditure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and insights one and all and yes, I'd really welcome hearing your thoughts after you've played a few times.

I still feel strangely drawn to it so I'll keep my subscription open on BGG and see what happens next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fully £25 more than I anticipated at my high estimate. I'm also on the fence for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be a wonderful game; but, will it really be £75.00 wonderful???

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/hands-in-the-sea-kickstarter-...

I think I am going to have to pass on this one... :soblue:

We're my thoughts precisely. I just wish the UK pricing of wargames from the States wasn't (increasingly) so high by the time they reach the UK.
BTW - does anyone know what the components in the non-KS version are like? I'm assuming that cardboard tokens are used to replace all the wooden bits? Would this affect the aesthetic appeal (or gameplay) of the game much?

Mat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahler wrote:
BTW - does anyone know what the components in the non-KS version are like? I'm assuming that cardboard tokens are used to replace all the wooden bits? Would this affect the aesthetic appeal (or gameplay) of the game much?

Mat

The non-KS version will still have wood tokens. The towns are 8mm cubes, the Cities and Forts are 15mm discs, and the Fleets are 20mm discs. Both the KS and non-KS version comes with the wood Hex markers, dice, and cardboard tokens for the Battle Round, Maintenance, and Currency tokens.

Here is the Component illustration from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
Mahler wrote:

Mat

The non-KS version will still have wood tokens. The towns are 8mm cubes, the Cities and Forts are 15mm discs, and the Fleets are 20mm discs. Both the KS and non-KS version comes with the wood Hex markers, dice, and cardboard tokens for the Battle Round, Maintenance, and Currency tokens.

Here is the Component illustration from the rulebook.

Many thanks for this Don - good to know.
Mat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only thing i care in KS version is extra deck. I will substitute the wooden pieces and coins with stuff from other games (legendary coins, ships from conquest of the empires, buildings...don't know yet ).

Here in Poland I paid around 62$ for "normal" version , but it includes EU VAT taxes (22%) - so the net price is around 50$.

Still waiting for my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy has arrived. Here's my thoughts on the components:

Board: this handles nicely, and lies flat! I'd have preferred it to look more like a map than a painted version of google maps, but it looks a *lot* better than I feared from the photos posted so far.

Player boards: sturdy cardboard, bowed so currently flattening out under a stack of books.

Cards: Also slightly bowed. Very thin card, I'd want to sleeve even if I wasn't forced to due to the colour mismatch on the backs of the errata cards. Artwork is ok; some strangely proportioned horses and elephants. Currently sleeved and under a different stack of books.

Rulebook: Glossy finish, looks nice.

Player aids: Fine

Wooden KS bits: Standard euro fair, fine.

Coins: cardboard money.

Box: V. good solid box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
My copy has arrived. Here's my thoughts on the components:

Board: this handles nicely, and lies flat! I'd have preferred it to look more like a map than a painted version of google maps, but it looks a *lot* better than I feared from the photos posted so far.

Player boards: sturdy cardboard, bowed so currently flattening out under a stack of books.

Cards: Also slightly bowed. Very thin card, I'd want to sleeve even if I wasn't forced to due to the colour mismatch on the backs of the errata cards. Artwork is ok; some strangely proportioned horses and elephants. Currently sleeved and under a different stack of books.

Rulebook: Glossy finish, looks nice.

Player aids: Fine

Wooden KS bits: Standard euro fair, fine.

Coins: cardboard money.

Box: V. good solid box.

Thanks Joe - I'll await your comments on play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play a couple of times this weekend. I spent a lot less than £75.00, so it's easy for me to say now, but it would be worth more than that to me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.