3 Posts

Rummikub» Forums » Rules

Subject: First turn rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M N
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there! Please help me end this argument! When you first go and you've put down your tiles that add to 30 points. And you have a few more tiles that can be played on on other tiles, can you play them? Or are you only aloud to play just the tiles that add up to 30? And wait the your next turn to play more moves? Thank you for any help with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only play stand-alone sets/runs on the turn you lay 30. You may not add to or rearrange other sets/runs that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith D
United Kingdom
Ruislip
flag msg tools
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer to this.

Firstly it depends on which rules you are playing and how you interpret those rules. There have been many variations of rules in the past, I prefer to use the most recent to try and avoid confusion. The latest rules state:
"After players have played their initial plays they can also play on other sets on the table with tiles from their racks".
Problem with the above it is not clear if this is in the same go or 'after'.
To clarify the above I asked Pressman Toys (who provided the rules) the following:
When making the initial play with 30 or more points from your hand, after placing the qualifying sets on the table are you permitted on the same turn to add to and manipulate the other tiles or do you have to wait until the following turn?

Pressman Toys customer services response to this was:
In regards to your initial play question, after you have set down your initial meld of 30 points, you may play the table however you would like.
Which suggests you can manipulate the table within the same turn.

Personally, if a time limit is not imposed I would prefer to play that you can't continue to manipulate the table because there has been occasion when a player has not been able to go until almost all the tiles have gone and then play all their tiles out. If a time limit is introduced into the game it is unlikely to be of any consequence as I think if someone attempted to go all out their likely to run out of time and the hand is unlikely go all the way round the table again.

As the rules tend to vary as long as you agree which rules apply to the game before you start then it shouldn't be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.