Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How do you like the attack variation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's kinda boring. It's consistent, which is good (having a difficulty 2 check which inflicts weapons damage + test result 90% of the time). But it seems kinda boring and stale, especially when I remember those crazy twists combat cards sometimes took in the first edition.

Attack variations that are not what I just described earlier are so rare, that when that one time we had an attack where monster forced the weapon off the attacking character and attacking character made an unarmed check instead, I almost jumped out of my chair in excitement

How do you people feel about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like the combat. The descriptions add something. It's not just "roll dice and do X amount of damage if you hit."

I do wish, however, that FFG left combat on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the combat a lot, mostly because of the flavor text that comes with using different weapon types and the variability in the checks that the app has you make.

I also enjoy the variations on combat. Like a Heavy Weapon will have you use Strength, Spells will have you use Lore, Firearms and Bladed Weapons require Agility most of the time, however, in some instances you'll need Observation or even Will depending on the flavor text.

I've also had instances where a failure has resulted in my weapon getting thrown from my hands or stuck in the monster's hide, forcing me to drop it.

In my opinion, the app controlling combat is a good thing. It streamlines the experience, making it fast and easy, while also adding atmosphere and an element of randomness. What's not to love?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
I like the combat. The descriptions add something. It's not just "roll dice and do X amount of damage if you hit."

I do wish, however, that FFG left combat on the table.

Honestly, attacking is roll dice then do x amount of damage. Only instead of just saying so you have to read through multiple lines of text first.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game. I'm just underwhelmed by the combat. We usually ignore all the extra text and just search for the skill to test then roll dice and apply x amount of damage. With the app, they could have done so much more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Honestly, attacking is roll dice then do x amount of damage. Only instead of just saying so you have to read through multiple lines of text first.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game. I'm just underwhelmed by the combat. We usually ignore all the extra text and just search for the skill to test then roll dice and apply x amount of damage. With the app, they could have done so much more...
That's exactly what I'm talking about, unfortunately.

All my experience with attacks so far was check *parameter*:2, deal *wep_dmg*+*test_result*. It's like 90% of the time this way.

There were a couple deviations, where check difficulty was not 2 but 1, and damage dealt in that case was not *wep_dmg*+*test_result*, but just *wep_dmg*.

And only one time there was a really interesting and surprising attack:
When Rita Young attacked Deep One using a Fire Extinguisher, Deep One knocked the Extinguisher out of her hands, so she dropped it and was forced to make an unarmed attack roll instead. That was awesome. And that happened only once to us throughout two playthroughs at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you need A) different monsters and B) different attack types. I do kind of wish there was some in-game help as to which monsters were vulnerable to which attack types. Also, by making it part of the game, FFG can release virtual additions to attacks at any time (which I'm hoping they will).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We save some time by reading out what the test is first, so the player can start gathering up their dice, and then reading the flavor text aloud while they are collecting dice and rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Ruel√łkke
msg tools
I for one absolutely LOVE the combat system. Yes its simple and yes its mostly the same rolls. But the flavor text is amazing. We really get into the flavor text and vision what happens in front of us. The other day we fought a ghost for the first time with a character who was unarmed and damn the flavor text was amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lacks variation and creativity. Not expecting a dungeon crawler/rpg style combat, but as mentioned before, its just skill test/roll dice, and same damage formula each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Lacks variation and creativity. Not expecting a dungeon crawler/rpg style combat, but as mentioned before, its just skill test/roll dice, and same damage formula each time.

Are you playing the same game we are? Because every time I attack, I see something different. I believe that's called "variation". Also, every time I attack, I see a description as to what is happening, explaining which skill is being used and why. That would be known as "creativity". And lastly, many times the damage varies. Sometimes it's whatever is listed on the weapon/spell, sometimes it's the number of successes, sometimes it's a combination.

If you take away all flavor from any game, all you're left with is "rolling dice". This is, after all, a board game. Not sure what else you're looking for...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Are you playing the same game we are? Because every time I attack, I see something different. I believe that's called "variation". Also, every time I attack, I see a description as to what is happening, explaining which skill is being used and why. That would be known as "creativity". And lastly, many times the damage varies. Sometimes it's whatever is listed on the weapon/spell, sometimes it's the number of successes, sometimes it's a combination.

If you take away all flavor from any game, all you're left with is "rolling dice". This is, after all, a board game. Not sure what else you're looking for...

-shnar
What I was looking for personally is something similar to MoM1 in terms of battle cards. MoM1 had crazy variety of stuff that was happening, especially with add-ons. Check were pretty different, their outcomes were too. Right now, I can bet money before every attack and get rich by guessing that I will test an attribute with the difficulty of 2, and if I hit, I will deal weapon damage + test result. Because its extremely rare for the attack to have any other effect. Too rare for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
In our one play so far we had a high strength character start the game with the 2x4. Every time he attacked with it the check was anything except strength. It must have taken him honestly at least five or six checks to hit a strength check, which led us to wander if the app was glitched. Guess we had the equivalent of a freaky card draw, but there are definitely lots of non-standard checks in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
In our one play so far we had a high strength character start the game with the 2x4. Every time he attacked with it the check was anything except strength. It must have taken him honestly at least five or six checks to hit a strength check, which led us to wander if the app was glitched. Guess we had the equivalent of a freaky card draw, but there are definitely lots of non-standard checks in there.
It's not about what stat is checked. It's about circumstances and outcome. A check of influence with a difficulty of 2 that deals weapon damage plus test result is still a standard check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar
What I was looking for personally is something similar to MoM1 in terms of battle cards. MoM1 had crazy variety of stuff that was happening, especially with add-ons. Check were pretty different, their outcomes were too. Right now, I can bet money before every attack and get rich by guessing that I will test an attribute with the difficulty of 2, and if I hit, I will deal weapon damage + test result. Because its extremely rare for the attack to have any other effect. Too rare for my taste.

I'm pretty sure the combat of MoM2 is identical to MoM1. Instead of cards, it's in the app. You have different attack types, each 'card' is a different description, a different test, a different result. Just like MoM1...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm pretty sure the combat of MoM2 is identical to MoM1. Instead of cards, it's in the app. You have different attack types, each 'card' is a different description, a different test, a different result. Just like MoM1...

-shnar
Do you even read my posts, bro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar
Do you even read my posts, bro?

Yeaup, and I'm saying you're mistaken on your understanding of 1 vs 2. They're pretty much the same. The only difference I see right now is MoM1 has many more 'cards' since it has all these expansions. Give MoM2 a year or so and you'll see the same amount of variety. MoM2 right now has the same variety as MoM1 core.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Yeaup, and I'm saying you're mistaken on your understanding of 1 vs 2. They're pretty much the same. The only difference I see right now is MoM1 has many more 'cards' since it has all these expansions. Give MoM2 a year or so and you'll see the same amount of variety. MoM2 right now has the same variety as MoM1 core.

-shnar
You say you do, but your post indicates that you clearly don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.