GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,302 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Deep Space D-6» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Athena Mk II – 5 games and Mononoaware – 4 games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 10 games with Halcyon (see previous post), I switched to Athena Mk II.
Had to check a couple rules clarifications on the forums, but otherwise good to go.

Setup:
Note here for all games I did the final “ship” (6 special cards) at the end. Also, I did not remove any cards to speed up game, nor did I remove any “Don’t Panic!” cards (to make the game harder). I also had the Infirmary card on the easy side (send to change face).

Here you can see my recorded plays and notes:
Game #
1 – win
2 – died at end (had 2 dice locked before final battle)
3 - died at end (had 1 dice locked before final battle and other cards still down)
4 – win
5 – win

Notes:
Like Halcyon, games were < 30 minutes and decisions were few. Luck played a role and this ship felt limited though powerful. It started to feel a bit samey with itself and with Halcyon, so I stopped after 5 plays.

Then I switched over to Mononoaware

This was painful. Definitely had to refer to rules forum to get some pictures to clear up how this ship worked. Even after that, it didn’t feel good. I couldn’t roll a red (tactical) die to save my life and I’m not sure using the orange (engineer) dice to flip threats is worth it.

Here you can see my recorded plays and notes:
Game #
1 – lost at end (rolled a 6, ugh)
2 – win
3 – lose mid game
4 – lose mid game

Thoughts
I’m not sure if I was just real unlucky on the rolls, or I had bad tactics. In any case, after so many plays overall I just wasn’t willing to try and figure out the difference or carry on. Perhaps I’ll revisit in the future, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmb
I've only played with the MONO one time so far and I too couldn't roll a tactic to save my life. I didn't find it frustrating or blame the dice. I know the tactics console was malfunctioning and none of the crew knew enough to fix it. It's the danger we face when we use alien tech we don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.