9 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Spoilers] Query re: glory in some things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt cramsie
Australia
flag msg tools
So, Managed to grab a copy & have been playing through. 2 questions, very minor spoilers.

1. If a Captain's Books reward gives a ship upgrade (or structure, or any other reward that if purchased would give glory), does it also give a point of glory? If not, do you still lose a point of glory if it's destroyed (that would probably require markers, I'd imagine)?

2. If you finish your sail action at a (I forget the name - dangerous waters?) Location & you succeed at the exploration endeavour (eg: an atoll) do you also gain a glory (even if you didn't choose explorers guild, or have already successfully explored this turn?)

Ie: do you get glory after any successful endeavour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
memespawn wrote:

1. If a Captain's Books reward gives a ship upgrade (or structure, or any other reward that if purchased would give glory), does it also give a point of glory? If not, do you still lose a point of glory if it's destroyed (that would probably require markers, I'd imagine)?

Yes. Anytime you acquire a building or upgrade you get the point of glory. You also lose that point if you ever lose (not exhaust) that building or upgrade.

memespawn wrote:
2. If you finish your sail action at a (I forget the name - dangerous waters?) Location & you succeed at the exploration endeavour (eg: an atoll) do you also gain a glory (even if you didn't choose explorers guild, or have already successfully explored this turn?)

Ie: do you get glory after any successful endeavour?

You get a glory after a successful endeavor, but ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
... the rules explicitly state you do not gain glory for passing a Dangerous Waters (the whirlpool with the target number) check. See page 9, last line of the Dangerous Waters paragraph. If you finish your sail in an empty space, though, that is Uncharted Waters, not Dangerous Waters. In that case you draw the Uncharted Waters card, resolve it and if it said to attempt an endeavor and you were successful (ie, discover an atoll) then you gain a glory. So far Dangerous Waters seems to be the only endeavor that does not grant glory for success as it explicitly states so in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
Yes. Anytime you acquire a building or upgrade you get the point of glory. You also lose that point if you ever lose (not exhaust) that building or upgrade.

Are you sure? How do you know? We just ran into this question and I thought the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
As you lose a point of glory every time you lose a building or upgrade, it only makes sense to gain it as well when you gain the building or upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
tjstack wrote:

Are you sure? How do you know? We just ran into this question and I thought the opposite.

Any time you acquire a building or upgrade you get a glory for it - as long as you still control it (i.e. it isn't stolen or destroyed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Any time you acquire a building or upgrade you get a glory for it - as long as you still control it (i.e. it isn't stolen or destroyed).

Definitely a good FAQ item.

Part of the reason we weren't sure of this was that it would have been so easy to say exactly this in the rulebook (it doesn't require any spoilers), and yet it's not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jayahre wrote:

Definitely a good FAQ item.

Part of the reason we weren't sure of this was that it would have been so easy to say exactly this in the rulebook (it doesn't require any spoilers), and yet it's not there.

Added: The Captain's Log

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The book does state that if you raid a dock and get an upgrade that way you get glory "as normal" so I do take it you get it anytime you gain an upgrade or site.

As far as the atolls... there is no difficulty number on them, just a list of results. That's the one reason why I am uncertain if they are worth glory.

Still as pointed out, only the dangerous waters seems to say you don't gain glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JR has commented that the "endeavors" used to establish a result in the Captain's Booke do not grant glory. At least not automatically -- the result may include a glory reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.