14 Posts

Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Upgrading a town with incomplete links rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko V
Croatia
flag msg tools
Quick question: Player A builds a town tile with multiple links out of it and puts his markers onto all the links. What happens with Player A's markers if Player B on his very next turn upgrades that town to a city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vukozec wrote:
Quick question: Player A builds a town tile with multiple links out of it and puts his markers onto all the links. What happens with Player A's markers if Player B on his very next turn upgrades that town to a city?

the markers stay (as long as player A on their next turn continues to do something w/those links, not on someone else's turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If A didn't extend the tracks (i.e., there are only track stubs on the same hex as the town), they disappear -- oops, he should've anticipated that! But if A did extend the tracks, his ownership markers remain (since track remains) on the board like Jeff wrote above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think that's true - the links out of it are limited to the town tile - there's nothing for the markers to mark once it becomes a city...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
I wouldn't think that's true - the links out of it are limited to the town tile - there's nothing for the markers to mark once it becomes a city...

do note that the incomplete "links" may actually contain "track"... why would someone upgrading a town to a city cause a different players incomplete links to go away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Baum
msg tools
Thematically, the little stubs that were coming out of the town get swallowed up by the newly built city. In any event, the two answers above JeffyJeff are right. The links go away, unless the other player already extended beyond the town tile.

(There are some expansions that change this rule somewhat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da baum wrote:
Thematically, the little stubs that were coming out of the town get swallowed up by the newly built city. In any event, the two answers above JeffyJeff are right. The links go away, unless the other player already extended beyond the town tile.

isn't that what I said? base post didn't say track-less stubs

ps: there aren't 2 answer's above mine unless you meant below?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
da baum wrote:

isn't that what I said? base post didn't say track-less stubs

Yeah, I think most of us read the OP as meaning Player A built only a town track with multiple exits and put his trains on those exits in the town track itself. Not on tracks in the hexes surrounding the town. In which case, when the town is upgraded to a city, those claimed tracks cease to exist. Is that what you meant to have said already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko V
Croatia
flag msg tools
RustyInRT wrote:

Yeah, I think most of us read the OP as meaning Player A built only a town track with multiple exits and put his trains on those exits in the town track itself. Not on tracks in the hexes surrounding the town. In which case, when the town is upgraded to a city, those claimed tracks cease to exist.

Yes, this is exactly what I've meant, that's why I said "on the B's very next turn", meaning A haven't had time to extend

Thanks for clarification guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vukozec wrote:
RustyInRT wrote:

Yeah, I think most of us read the OP as meaning Player A built only a town track with multiple exits and put his trains on those exits in the town track itself. Not on tracks in the hexes surrounding the town. In which case, when the town is upgraded to a city, those claimed tracks cease to exist.

Yes, this is exactly what I've meant, that's why I said "on the B's very next turn", meaning A haven't had time to extend

Thanks for clarification guys.

ah... what you meant but not what you said in any case you now also know the answer for incomplete non-stub links... would really make it a screw you game if those incomplete links lost their markers (thus allowing someone else to claim)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Vukozec wrote:

the markers stay (as long as player A on their next turn continues to do something w/those links, not on someone else's turn)

No, the markers do not stay. Player A loses his incomplete links because the City hexes don't have track on them to claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:

Precisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Vukozec wrote:
No, the markers do not stay. Player A loses his incomplete links because the City hexes don't have track on them to claim.

suggest you read all replies before replying yourself... as you are 1/2 wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, the markers would be removed when replacing the town with the city. It's a moot point though, unless player B was also building track out of that city on the same turn.

Since all city tiles are presumed to have track exiting each side of the hex. Unless player B was building new track out of a side, player A could just continue building off any un-owned side, on the next turn.

EDIT: This assumes that player A didn't build any rail pieces leading away from the town, and was simply building the town tile itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.