$30.00
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I'm feeling this weirdly specific itch to play a type of game that I'm sure exists, but after a couple of hours of searching can't quite seem to find. Hoping you guys can help me out.

- A game about building something. Ideally a town/settlement/civilization, but a business could work too. Open to outside-the-box thinking, but the key is starting small and building big.
- Well balanced for 2 players. I can only really count on getting to the table with my girlfriend (a far better gamer than me).
- Preferably 1-2 hours.
- No destroying each other's stuff. I've tried Risk-style area control games before and they just aren't our cup of tea. Less into conflict. More into competing for points/profit.

Probably the closest to what I'm thinking that I already have in my collection are Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy (building stuff over time, limited player interaction) and Tanto Cuore (building up a deck over time). Thinking something longer than those, different theme, and not a deck-builder. Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy fits everything but the "Preferably 1-2 hours" criteria. It probably will take that long to start with but will be much quicker once you know the game. It crams a lot of game into a short time and you can always play it a few times if you have 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are big fans of Suburbia here. Each player gets to build their own suburb, but there are ways you can take advantage of what another player has built without destroying it. A wonderful game that plays great at 2. Definitely look into the Suburbia Inc expansion if this sounds like a game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend

Agricola
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
La Città
7 Wonders Duel
Ora et Labora
Le Havre

All of these would fit your wants to an extent; it depends on the style of game you prefer and themes you like which would suit you best. If you have a look at reviews for these you should get a sense of whether they'd work for you or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is one I enjoy quite a bit. You can ramp the confrontation up or down depending on taste.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a 2 player worker placement where each player builds up an animal farm.

Imperial Settlers with Imperial Settlers: Why Can't We Be Friends can tone down the confrontation between players and is perfectly suited for 2 players.

The Castles of Burgundy a game where you compete for resources, but otherwise not directly confrontational. Seen it mentioned a lot as a popular game among couples.

I tried to mention 4 games that play very differently from one another. Check them out and see which interests you most. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reid
msg tools
I've had a good time with 2-player Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Not two hours though, typically less than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question gets asked a lot on BGG, and I am always interested in the answers. Thank you, OP and responders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wardlow
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Targi. The "building" aspect is to build your display of 3 rows by 4 columns of Tribe cards. I can't think of any destruction of your opponent's display, but there is player interaction, vying for resources and Tribe cards. Also, this takes 1 to 2 hours to play. I think it meets your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Build mad castles:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Build an amusement park (added bonus: you build a 3-d park):
Steam Park

Build a Vineyard:
Viticulture

Build a town tetris-style:
The Princes of Florence

+1 for Targi. It isn't building as much as it is gathering, but it's one of the best specifically two-player games out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Targi and Castles of Burgundy..

Targi plays in 45 minutes to an hour.. but it goes by quickly.

I think Castles of Burgundy take s little longer, but its been awhile since I've played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra, Keyflower, Power Grid (also w/Power Grid: The Robots), Isle of Skye, At the Gates of Loyang...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove
The Castles of Burgundy
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Agricola
Suburbia
Fields of Arle

Roads & Boats (we often play on 3p map)

Roads and Boats is great as a low-conflict couples game? Who knew! (Thankfully, JohnRayJr did.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower

And Roll for the Galaxy is a big favorite around here. Longer and, at the risk of sounding unpopular, superior to Race for the Galaxy (in my group's opinion). When I say longer, I mean you'll still play a 2p game in under an hour, but not in the 20-30 minutes it might take two to play Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
I would recommend

Agricola
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
La Città
7 Wonders Duel
Ora et Labora
Le Havre

All of these would fit your wants to an extent; it depends on the style of game you prefer and themes you like which would suit you best. If you have a look at reviews for these you should get a sense of whether they'd work for you or not.

I'd hesitate on La Citta... you can steal the other person's citizen(s), and if you lose citizens, you may lose building tiles, so it has a bit of a destroy/take element to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek Thakkar
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like others, +1 to Suburbia

Apart from Race for the galaxy (you'll have to be patient with getting to know the rules),
I'd also recommend Carcassonne , and Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh My Goods! actually does this pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stipe Krunic
Croatia
Rab
flag msg tools
Archipelago Worth giving a try, a great board game where you feel like building a small colony in the Age of Exploration.

You can also play a short game 30 mins for 2 players or a medium game 45 mins or long 1 hour but the more players the longer the play time aproximately 45 mins per player for 3+ games. This timing is for a little bit experienced when you get the kicks you will be playing faster.

Really great game its in my top 3 games in my collection!

And no conflict without the expansion (I recommend not getting the expansion btw if you don't want conflict and a more meaner game) its just on VPs and objectives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add Glass Road to the suggestions and +1 Keyflower.

Would recommend watching Rahdo's videos on any game that catches your eye because he focuses on the 2p experience and also dislikes destroying stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Viticulture
+1 Keyflower
+1 7 Wonders Duel

I'll add Carcassonne: The City , as it sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think most of the best ones are already mentioned.+ 1 for Roll for the Galaxy
Two that seem to be overlooked and we play often are Saint Malo and Peloponnes, although we will play these two or three times in a sitting sometimes .
Good luck and enjoy your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm Surprised BGG. Every 2-player thread I see gets the suggestion Patchwork regardless of what was actually asked for, but not this one, until now. You both build patchwork quilts. you cannot destroy each others. It is a very well balanced 2-player game and has good interaction to say it looks like 2 player solitaire at a glance.
Building... sewing quilts is not so grandiose as building a civilisation or city like you mentioned, but the theme is kind of incidental, you still feel like you are making something unique and somewhat personal. the pieces could easily have been city blocks or something

Speaking of city blocks
New York 1901 Plays nice with 2 and can support more if you like. Just be sure to find the 2-player guidelines in the rule book.
You claim plots of land to build the tallest skyscrapers. you can't destroy each others stuff, but you do need to demolish your old building to make room for bigger and better ones.

Maybe check out Helios. I get the feeling this would work better with more players, but I have never tried it, only ever played with 2.
But it is pretty and you compete for resources to build floating islands and temples so that you get the most points as a sun does laps around your creation. interesting mechanics and nice, if a bit complex, gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
We are big fans of Suburbia here. Each player gets to build their own suburb, but there are ways you can take advantage of what another player has built without destroying it. A wonderful game that plays great at 2. Definitely look into the Suburbia Inc expansion if this sounds like a game for you.

+1 to Suburbia. You can also try Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
Le Havre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.