Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So what about this. We are going to play test this in a minute but here is some ideas I have and just for the base game.
(I don't want to have to go buy the expansions to make a game better. I would like to get them just financially not an option at the moment.)

Use a 6 sided die for every strength the unit has and whoever gets the highest number on 1 die wins and does their damage to opposing units. if there is a tie then both damage each other

If there is a trump then the person who does the trump gets to roll an extra die.

example;
Player A is attacking Player B

Player A) Strength level 2 artillery fights;
Player B) Strength level 1 Calvary

the Artillery gets to roll 2 dice and the Calvary gets to roll 2 dice (1 for strength and 1 for trump) and;
Artillery rolls 4 5
Calvary rolls 1 6

Calvary wins with highest die of 6 and damage ends up:
1 damage to Artillery and;
0 damage to Calvary

Also thinking that damage persists and takes away from combat total. After totals are resolved damage goes away (like base game units that take more damage then strength they go away).

In just the example above the combat total with no other bonuses would be;
Player A) Combat total: 1
Player b) Combat total: 1

Player A attacked Player B and ties, as per the rule book, go to the defender.

So player b wins.

Thoughts? Improvements? Otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just knew a d6 would be the answer as soon as I read the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Thanks for the constructive feedback. What do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
I learned a lot from my teachers. I learned even more from my colleagues. But most of all, I learned from my students
mbmbmbmbmb
What the expansion does to "fix" the combat system is that no longer the units has a single number for firepower AND hit points (ie a 2 unit in the base game has 2 hit points and made 2 attack points).

You could play that the units which start on 1 has the firepower printed but 2 extra hitpoints (so at start they have firepower 1 and 3 hitpoints) The units which start at 3 has firepower as printed but two hitpoint less than printed (so at start they have 3 firepower but 1 hitpoint) and units which start as 2 stay as printed (so they start at 2 firepower and 2 hitpoints) That way there is not luck of the draw picking stronger (or weaker) units that the opponent, it is simply a matter of balance. Using a D6 is not going to improve anything and you know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hg_enterprises wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Thanks for the constructive feedback. What do you suggest?

I didn't think I was giving any feedback, I was just declaring my prediction at the substance of your 'enhancement'. Mindful that most strategy games here get a thread of this sort at some stage, where it's recommended that the structure of an interaction mechanic is stripped out and replaced with a die to make it more 'exciting' or similar, it wasn't that tricky to guess.

If you want my feedback, I'd say leave well alone. Sure there was a slight glitch with the base game system (that was totally missed by many players) but it was flagged and 'fixed' by the expansion. Like the other poster states, a die with all the randomness it offers does not mend this perceived tick, it just turns a well balanced game into a random luck-fest. If you prefer dice games and all that goes with them, then fill your boots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.