10 Posts

Fortress Europa» Forums » Rules

Subject: A very simple rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Lost Canada
msg tools
Hi

Just cracked this open and am working through solo a set up/invasion to get an understanding.

It says "32 factors" for the invasion forces. Is that 32 units or 32 factors of attacking power?

If it is 32 combat factors, how does the rest of the initial Allied force get ashore? Or can I call among my england 'reinforcements' on say allied turn 2?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It refers to combat factors. Note that there is also a 2nd impulse capacity. On turns after the invasion you use sea movement (rule 11).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Lost Canadian wrote:
Hi

Just cracked this open and am working through solo a set up/invasion to get an understanding.

It says "32 factors" for the invasion forces. Is that 32 units or 32 factors of attacking power?

If it is 32 combat factors, how does the rest of the initial Allied force get ashore? Or can I call among my england 'reinforcements' on say allied turn 2?

Thanks!

Hi!

The "factors" refer to "combat factors."

Rule 12 (Invasion) covers bringing troops ashore on the first turn of the invasion. Assuming you're talking about the stretch of coastline running from hex P5 (next to Le Havre) west to hex B2 (Brest), 32 infantry combat factors (ICFs) on the first turn, which may include the British 79th armored division per Rule 12.7, and 16 ICFs, a HQ unit, and a Mulberry counter on the second impulse.

After the first turn, the Allies use Sea Movement (Rule 11) to bring the remaining divisions from England to the Mulberry, or to an Allied-controlled port, with a limited number of units moving each turn.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lost Canada
msg tools
Thanks! I re-read the sea movement rules and this all makes much more sense now.

Another, I clearly-can't-parse-the-rules question. Replacements. What is the initial base amount? I get that many factors cause the replacement figure to go up and down, but what does everyone start at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You start the game with zero replacements. The replacement rate - how many you get per turn - is given on the turn charts, and that rate can be affected by aircraft missions or terrain objectives (u-boat pens, v1 sites) achieved.

Enjoy the game, it's a great one - one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lost Canada
msg tools
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
You start the game with zero replacements. The replacement rate - how many you get per turn - is given on the turn charts, and that rate can be affected by aircraft missions or terrain objectives (u-boat pens, v1 sites) achieved.

Thanks for the explanation!

I greatly enjoyed it playing it against myself to just test. A lot of interesting features. Now to just convince a buddy of mine to play it against me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Lost Canadian wrote:
OldPhartWargamer wrote:

Thanks for the explanation!

I greatly enjoyed it playing it against myself to just test. A lot of interesting features. Now to just convince a buddy of mine to play it against me...

It certainly is better to play with 2.

BUT it is quite easy to play solo 2 player. You simple set up defensively for several invasion zones and then let a die decide where the invasion takes place. The same for the second invasion phase.

You could limit the number of possible sites or not. But this simple mechanic adds a lot of fun!

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Note that while the invasion capacity is in combat factors, replacements are in steps. It costs 1 armor replacement to flip a 4-6 to an 8-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love TRC and Anzio (which has similar mechanic elements - step losses), my favorite game of this type has always been FE. Played many games of it back in the days of stamps and envelopes. Sadly, have only played one game via e-mail since computers came of age, and never used Vassal for a game. BUT I'd surely love to make the effort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my second game with a friend over vassal. He won the first but I'm doing ok on the second. Just wanted to say it's really friendly for vassal (PBEM) play as, as the attacker, you retreat the defenders. So mostly you can get away with two log files per turn. One for the German air allocation after yours at the start of the turn and one more containing both your move attack phase 1 and your move attack phase 2. This really makes it nice to play via vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.