Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how many times you stress, be thinking of your questions even before it's your turn to ask, it is inevitable that many people take waaay too long to ask their question.

What are some good ways to fix this without putting too much stress on the questioner. We've tried a time limit, but that seems to result in really dumb questions being asked. (I'm soooo tired of hearing "what's the food like?").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Wait... you say you're playing Spyfall and you say you want to reduce the stress on the players?

In our group, if you take too long trying to formulate a question, someone will accuse you of being the spy and playing for time. That's a strong disincentive from faffing about.

And if people ask dumb questions, someone will accuse them of being a spy. This is another strong disincentive.

Yes, that's stressful. It's supposed to be. You're trying to act less like a spy than the spy does, without giving the game away. If players can't cope with that kind of stress, maybe the game isn't for them. /-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage players to formulate questions ahead of time, so they are ready in advance.

Also, it is good to have some "go to" questions in your back pocket. So if you are stumbling about, you can pull out one of those.
One player always asks, "is there any candy here?" As his go to when he struggles.

I think what may help is a simple player aid of a bunch of questions that people can fall back on.
What are you wearing?
What is on the walls?
How long will you be here for?
Just some good questions that are able to be asked for nearly all locations.

But as mentioned above, the game is about being clever and thinking on your feet.
If a player struggles so much on thinking of questions, I have to say this game is not for them. They are not the target group this game is intended for.

I have played the game easily over a couple hundred times now and with dozens and dozens of different people.

And in my experience, the players who struggle to ask questions often give poor answers and just do not do well at the game. Every time the game is directed to them, the momentum grinds to a screeching hault.

This game is designed for people who are fast thinking. If a player can not do this, then the game is just not for them.

Whenever we play with someone who struggles with questions and answers, it just kills game energy and eats up the clock. We end up accusing them of being spys more often than not and it does lessen the experience.

So if these players do still want to play, I think a question list on hand is their best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I've had the same problem. With multiple gaming groups I've introduced Spyfall and there's always that paralysis of not knowing what a good question is.

It's getting to the point where I think I might need a player card with like 10-20 neutral, easy questions that people can fall back on when they can't think of anything.

My go-to's when I teach the game are things like "How long ya been here?" and "What's it smell like?"

Then usually in the very first game I'll ask a wild question to help feed the creativity: "If aliens landed a ufo here, how would they feel about humans?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
My most effective curve-ball question, which I've now used two or three times, is "If I were to shoot you dead, right here, right now, what would the consequences be?" It startles people, and most locations have a range of intriguing possible answers each of which would be bogus for some of the other locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
My most effective curve-ball question, which I've now used two or three times, is "If I were to shoot you dead, right here, right now, what would the consequences be?" It startles people, and most locations have a range of intriguing possible answers each of which would be bogus for some of the other locations.

I so have to use this question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.