Subject: Encouraging Use of Other Spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading even more about the campaign game and the focus on the game regarding offensive spells and the advantages players will have if they have offensive spells -- and how it makes little sense during a game to use any other spells other than offensive spells, I was wondering about two things (for players who have played a campaign game).

First, the game's rules state that there shouldn't be more than 24" of straight line of sight on the table -- i.e. that there should be enough terrain on the table that no one is making a ranged attack further than 24". The question is: did you d this? What effect did it have on the powerful ranged attack spells like Elemental Blast?

Second, has anyone considered a house rule that a spell which causes ranged damage can only be cast a single time during a game? You can come up with any number of fantasy rationales for this -- from "it has to be memorized each day and then is forgotten the next" to "the power granting the spell rarely permits it to be cast many times in succession". This would also encourage players to at least take an array of offensive spells rather than just casting the same spell throughout the game.

Another house rule I am already considering is that you get XP for each different spell you cast during a game.

Or maybe there is really no problem and I am just succumbing to the online discussions about it. I just ask having not played a game myself, but the public (internet) consensus is that spells like Elemental Blast and some others, are basically so good that it doesn't make sense to use other spells at all.

For reference, here is an excellent discussion of the issues, though long:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=758db741d9b....0

Thanks for any comments. GG for helpful answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discourage my opponent from using Elemental Bolt and similar spells by making sure that he knows that if his wizard or apprentice get into line of sight with my warband there's a good chance that they'll die too.

A good amount of terrain is required but in the games I've played the maximum line of sight has varied a bit (which I think is good, I like to play on different terrain setups each game). I think you only need to be really strict about it if one player has significantly more ranged attacks than an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the wizards. I enjoy playing has no offensive spells at all, just movement and defense of spells and he has won several games with that strategy get in get the treasure get out . Terrain does have a lot to do with breaking up the line of sight, our game boards are full of the maze of terrain to break up line of sight, although we do have towers, which is usually the only way you can shoot or cast any distance without the wizards eye spell.

A suggested house rule is the difficulty of the spells increases by 1 every time you cast.

one game elemental ball gave me hell but is still came out okay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
My suspicion with a lot of the house rules coming out is that they may not have followed the rules about dense terrain -- most of the video replays I have seen are nothing close to what the rulesbook recommends with large huge swaths of across-the-table line of sight.

I may just try to use the regular rules and a make sure there's lots of LOS-blocking terrain all over the table.

Thanks for the responses. Here's some GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a board example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.