$30.00
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played last night.

I decided as the Allies last night to dedicate the maximum resources possible to destroy the infrastructure because those V1 and V2 cards can be pretty nasty.

During 1943, I also used some high OPS point cards for the OPS to push hard in Sicily/Italy. Part of that was due to some bad die rolling that was slowing down the Husky invasion. The other reason was that I figured I would see cards like Vemork and Hamburg go through the deck again and playing them for the event now would not see a benefit from seeing them later.

Well, I finally took Sicily at the end of turn 3. The Axis led turn 4 with Italian Disarmament and started rushing German troops down toward the Rome/Pescara area. The Allies opened Turn 4 with Avalanche and in the process was able to cut supply for the German corps that was holding Corligiliano-Calabro and was quickly attacking Rome/Pescara, were they got hot with the dice.

At that point, they ran into a fight/stall/fight/stall up the Italian Peninsula. At the same time, they was building up a huge force in the U.K.

Then I ran into problems: I went through Turn 4-6 without pulling the Overlord card. The Axis got V1 and V2 early, which held the Allies card draw to 7, making it even harder to get Overlord. Then, I saw those high OPS 1943 cards appearing again that I mentioned above, which was clogging the deck making it even more difficult.

On Turn 6, the Axis had a sweet hand. They had cards to battle in Normandy. They had all of their units at full strength. They were to the point of taking the 1 OPS option and then passing. The Allies had sweet cards like Cobra and Market-Garden that they had to hold on the chance that Overlord popped up and that meant they were drawing 5 per turn. It was a really bad situation. All they could do was try to attack in Italy and the Axis would use their RP action to build the units back up that the Allies damaged.

I called the game when Overlord didn't pop up in the Turn 7 draw. Overlord wasn't going to launch until Spring 1945 and I figure there was no way on earth to win the game at that point.

So what did I learn?

#1) Play 1943 asterisks Allied cards for the event. Don't let it clog your deck. I don't think Italy is as important as I was trying. Even when you go all out, it is extremely difficult to take. I thought by pressuring Italy, I could pull the resources from France, but I find the mountainous terrain is plenty to aid the Axis.

#2) I probably need to play the optional rule that allows both sides to select a card for 1944. Even if you do everything right, it is theoretically possible to get hosed by having Overlord at the bottom of your reconstituted 1943/44 draw deck.

#3) This game is extremely fun and challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice! Can't wait to have an actual play.

How long did it take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing I learned from my first game (before this one).

When you launch Overlord and Cobra and start beating on the Germans in France, they will have to spend their replacements on protecting the Rhine. That means they will not be able to keep up with the war of attrition in Italy.

I thought I could go all out in Italy and punch my way through and force them to pull troops from France to Northern Italy, thus making the liberation of France a cakewalk, but that's not the right (nor the historical) approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tifast wrote:
nice! Can't wait to have an actual play.

How long did it take?

Playing solo, I'd guess about 4.5 hours, but keep in mind I am still new to the game.

One trick I learned, when the turn is over, flip your discard piles over as well as your removed cards. That way on the next turn, you can easily track which action round you are on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably need to play the optional rule that allows both sides to select a card for 1944.

I strongly recommend using optional rule 19.2 (and 19.1) unless you are willing to accept some "outlier" games.

For face to face play, without the use of optional rule 19.2, I would also recommend using the Tournament Bidding rules in 19.5. With the right sort of bid a 1945 Overlord could still produce an Allied victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine using rules 19.1 and 19.2 are the better option. Bidding up the Allied VPs might mitigate a late Overlord, but it then swings the game towards the Allies if they get a historical Overlord. Bidding on a random outcome isn't going to mitigate the randomness; it's just gambling on the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part the more optional rules you use, the closer you are getting to a "historical scenario" of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.