Gregory Philips
msg tools
Just got my hands on a copy of LoD and have been spending the weekend playing scenarios with all four factions to acquaint myself with the rules. So far two possibly stupid questions have come up.

First, a faction has to be eligible in order to play a Brilliant Stroke card. Does a faction with a the ability to trump that card also have to be eligible in order to do so? If the Patriots play a Brilliant Stroke and the Indians want to trump it but aren't eligible, can they still do so? My reading of the rules is that they can, but I'm not sure.

Second, and this is possibly a stupid question, but if an event gives you the ability to free march forces to a specific region, do those forces have to already be within the range of a normal march (i.e. patriot or indian forces would already have to be in adjacent spaces like they would for a normal march command)or does the event give them the license to go to that space from farther away? For instance card #21 allows Patriots to free march and free battle in South Carolina and Georgia. Do there have to be Patriots already occupying adjacent spaces in order to use that event? My interpretation when playing it out has been that they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodur wrote:
First, a faction has to be eligible in order to play a Brilliant Stroke card. Does a faction with a the ability to trump that card also have to be eligible in order to do so? If the Patriots play a Brilliant Stroke and the Indians want to trump it but aren't eligible, can they still do so? My reading of the rules is that they can, but I'm not sure.

Hi Gregory,

Trumping a Brilliant Stroke card is still the act of "playing" a Brilliant Stroke card.
Rule 2.3.8 wrote:
Trumping is the act of playing a Faction’s Brilliant Stroke card to cancel a just-played Brilliant Stroke card.

Thus, in order to play a Brilliant Stroke card, the faction has to be eligible.
Quote:
Second, and this is possibly a stupid question, but if an event gives you the ability to free march forces to a specific region, do those forces have to already be within the range of a normal march (i.e. patriot or indian forces would already have to be in adjacent spaces like they would for a normal march command)or does the event give them the license to go to that space from farther away? For instance card #21 allows Patriots to free march and free battle in South Carolina and Georgia. Do there have to be Patriots already occupying adjacent spaces in order to use that event? My interpretation when playing it out has been that they do.

Unless the Event specifies otherwise (I don't think this is ever the case), you will still need to obey the rules. So if Patriots get free March, the units and territories you choose will still need to be valid as per the regular rules of March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simo is on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.