Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: 10 Player Scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Boughton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe has gone down very well with the public gaming group I run in East London. We are fortunate to have two copies and regularly have both running side by side in the pub on a Tuesday night.

Recently there has been some idle discussion among players that with the addition of some house rules we could run a 10 player game using both boards connected via the mines.

Downsides - the game would be significantly longer due to the much larger player count.

Upside - It would be pretty epic.

Does anyone have any ideas for good house rules to better make 10 player Scythe feasible?

A few issues we were thinking about:

1. Should character/mat combos be restricted to ensure each is unique or does it not matter?
2. Would we need to paint/spray paint the pieces from one set so as to avoid tabletop confusion. Or is there a simpler way to visually demonstrate the difference between two players pieces who share the same faction?
3. Does defeat in battle still send you back to your home square? Given the increased distance does this give an increase in faction ability strength to abilities like seafaring which allow the player to retreat to lakes?

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, gratefully received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much look forward to hearing about this if you try it. Here are my thoughts regarding your questions:

1. Should character/mat combos be restricted to ensure each is unique or does it not matter?

--I don't think this matters much. You could shuffle up 10 player mats and hand them out randomly, as long as you have some way of establishing the first player.

2. Would we need to paint/spray paint the pieces from one set so as to avoid tabletop confusion. Or is there a simpler way to visually demonstrate the difference between two players pieces who share the same faction?

--I think you could use little removable tags (like the types of tags you put on wine glasses or twisty ties) around the legs of mechs or characters that cross over.

3. Does defeat in battle still send you back to your home square? Given the increased distance does this give an increase in faction ability strength to abilities like seafaring which allow the player to retreat to lakes?

--Perhaps a way to address this is to make it a team game (Team Nordic, Team Rusviet, etc). When you retreat, you could retreat to either of your home bases. In the unofficial team variant of Scythe, you play everything as normal, except each team has 10 stars to place (instead of 6 per player), and they may only place 1 star on each section of the Triumph Track (the Saxony player does not have this limitation for objectives and combat). At the end of the game, count up each player’s coins, add them to their partner’s coins, and compare each team’s total to determine the winner.

My one other thought is that you might want to add some extra incentive to crossing over to the other side--otherwise the optimal move might be to never cross over. Like, maybe territories controlled on the opposite board are worth +1 for end-game scoring.

Also, both games could be played simultaneously until someone crosses over. That should speed things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not mines, but dimensional breaches into a parallel world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say mines, do you actually mean tunnels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he's referring to tunnels and mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
They're not mines, but dimensional breaches into a parallel world!

Scythe: Fringe Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Boughton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas so far. I particularly like the idea of playing the boards concurrently until someone crosses over to speed up the game start and of incentivising crossover with a +1.

Fringe Scythe it is!

I also like adding tags to the bizarro mech crossover minis to ensure we can tell them apart at a glance.

Teams is an interesting thought and I've been doing some reading of the team variant. I'm intrigued but I think, if we can get the numbers, I'd love to see a pure chaos 10 players free for all in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd just end up with two 5 player games of Scythe. What incentive is there to explore and engage others multiple turns away? Scythe is ultimately a game of optimizing turns. More players doesn't materially change that objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
My one other thought is that you might want to add some extra incentive to crossing over to the other side--otherwise the optimal move might be to never cross over. Like, maybe territories controlled on the opposite board are worth +1 for end-game scoring.

The obvious (to me) way to incentivize it, if we're going with the parallel universe concept, is to make the popularity of the Rusviet faction on Board A applies to both Rusviet players' stuff on Board A. So if Board B has a greater Rusviet popularity than Board A, any buildings, territory and resources I have on Board A (Maybe apply that to Power as well but I'm not sure how that would work) is scored according to Board A's popularity, so I want to shift my units over to Board B to leech off of the popularity stuff my alternate universe rival has been doing.

Not sure that would work with teams, and I'm wishing I could think of a way of handling 'sharing power as well' in a way that makes sense, or how you'd define where a star goes if 2 of your buildings are on one board and 2 are on the other (and in the case of maxing out popularity, if both players get the star or just one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger: Yeah, I thought about that, but it may not work with retreating back to different home bases with the way that Riverwalk is set up. You could end up stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Calogero
United Kingdom
Walthamstow
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

If you're based in London and would like to see "Fringe" Scythe in action:
- our meetup: https://www.meetup.com/east-london-tabletop-gaming/
- our guild: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/2691

You're very welcome to join either, or both!

If there's a lot of interest, I'll create a special 10-player Mega Scythe event on the meetup page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're bloody mad! Sounds awesome (and tempting, as I'm not that far away), but you're still bloody mad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Boughton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we had 10 players at out meet up yesterday. But, as 4 of them were new to Scythe, we contented ourselves with two 5 player tables.

Apologies for the disappointment but we did spend some time talking about logistics for a 10p and hopefully we'll get it played in the next few weeks.

Some further ideas that were tossed around included:

[Terminology - Bizarro indicates the player with the same colour faction as you while you are in their dimension]

Rather than teams: When defeated in the alternate dimension, you may choose to retreat your forces to your equivalent bizarro's home position. Yikes, scary stuff I know!

Resources earned in the alternative dimension are +1. Eg. 1 worker producing in a forest in the alternate dimension produces 2 timber.

Popularity leech. At end game scoring your territory and resources in the alternate dimension score using your bizarro's popularity multiplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! I'm curious to hear about the session report when you pull this off. I think most of those ideas will work well, though I'm unsure about retreating to an enemy's home base, and popularity leech might result in everyone trying to keep their popularity low (but maybe not, since you largely still benefit from it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Boughton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, it could get a bit too brutal if people can retreat to your home base. Perhaps replacing that with "when in the alternate dimension may retreat to inactive factions bases" may be a little saner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Calogero
United Kingdom
Walthamstow
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!EXCITING NEWS!

I can now confirm that a 10-player game of Mega Scythe has been scheduled for Sunday the 2nd of October 2016, in Walthamstow, East London.

All details on Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/east-london-tabletop-gaming/events/23...

For those who cannot attend, I'm sure Tom B. will be delighted to write a session report after the event.

Knowing him, he might even tweet updates live during the event!

Beware his tendency to hyperbolize and romanticize when over-excited, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love houserules and this sounds epic. Personally, I expect the doubled downtime to be too big a barrier to overcome for it to be an improvement, but I would gladly be proven wrong.

I love the idea of tunnels and mines allowing access to another board. The next question I wonder about; would faction board jumping abilities also extend across the two boards? This would affect Saxony's mine-to-mountain-and-back ability, which would make sense to extend as well, and the Nordic's lake-to-lake ability, which would also be fun to extend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eery: That's a good question about faction board-jumping abilities. I think they would! At least, it would be worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.