John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my game arrives later this week, but am having a hard time "stream-lining" the attack/defend actions so i can explain them to my wife as easily as possible (otherwise i won't be playing much)(smile)...

so:

(1) for anyone who's played can you post here (as simply as possible) how to resolve an encounter/combat? (either in the dungeon, wilderness or PvP)?

(2) in the rulebook example (page 10, "lower/2nd example": it says "Pwgra’s total Attack is 6 (4 + 2 from Fury). Zacmar’s Armor reduces the damage to 5. Ashley destroys Sagani; the ranger’s Defense of 2 + the Wall 3 is enough to reduce the remaining damage to 0. Ashley takes three from the supply and adds the defeated boss to her trophy pile. She exhausts the Chanter to end the combat."

- why does ashley destroy Sagani? it seems like the 5 was enough to negate the counter-attack. or, does "absorbing the 5" (to save everyone else) kill Sagani?
- and why is only the Chanter exhausted? why not everyone in the party?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Combat ??
I THINK it goes like this:

Active player determines whether to attack another player or the Wilderness/a Dungeon deck (depending on what is out there).

If no attack is made, flip over the top card of one of the adventure decks without a face up card - if none available the monsters destroy one building and are then discarded. If the new card is a treasure, it is discarded. If it is a monster, it stays face up on its pile.

If the AP (Active player, not a person with Analysis Paralysis) attacks, first the attacker forms a Party out of the available people.

If attacking a player, the defender forms a party out of available people. If attacking a dungeon or the wilderness piles, draw cards until you get a creature (it guards any treasure drawn first). There is a symbol that means an additional creature is drawn.

Then there is the ability step, where special abilities are declared and applied.

Everybody adds attack values together for their side, then compares them to the other side's defense values. The idea here is that combat is simultaneous, so it really does not matter who goes first. In general one thing from each side, at least and at a minimum, will be discarded - Other than that you decide which things get destroyed by subtracting the card's defense value from the combat total until it reaches 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding damage, an important distinction is that damage done to monsters is different from damage done to a player's units and buildings, or in other words what the shield number means is different. A player has to do damage equal to the shield icon to destroy a monster, but a single point of damage is enough to destroy a unit or building - the shield value indicates how much damage the card absorbs as it dies, hopefully protecting other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
Regarding damage, an important distinction is that damage done to monsters is different from damage done to a player's units and buildings, or in other words what the shield number means is different. A player has to do damage equal to the shield icon to destroy a monster, but a single point of damage is enough to destroy a unit or building - the shield value indicates how much damage the card absorbs as it dies, hopefully protecting other cards.

Exactly. It took me a while to figure this out too. You have to give up units whose defense is less than or equal to the monster damage. Think of it as paying a cost, and sometimes you'll have to greatly overpay. So you want enough lesser units in the fight to "make change." It seems weird at first, but it keeps you constantly having to recruit more units. Don't get too attached to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I also got confused reading the rules of combat but I THINK I get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William LaGamba
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

(2) in the rulebook example (page 10, "lower/2nd example": it says "Pwgra’s total Attack is 6 (4 + 2 from Fury). Zacmar’s Armor reduces the damage to 5. Ashley destroys Sagani; the ranger’s Defense of 2 + the Wall 3 is enough to reduce the remaining damage to 0. Ashley takes three from the supply and adds the defeated boss to her trophy pile. She exhausts the Chanter to end the combat."

- why does ashley destroy Sagani? it seems like the 5 was enough to negate the counter-attack. or, does "absorbing the 5" (to save everyone else) kill Sagani?
- and why is only the Chanter exhausted? why not everyone in the party?

thanks!

I know its been over 2 months but I noticed that no one actually answered this part of the question or maybe they did but I didn't catch it

The first thing you need to understand are what the cards are.

Ashley is the active player
Zacmar and Sagani are heroes
Monk and Chanter are troops
Blacksmith and The Wall are buildings

The Pwgra has Fear which means one of your non exhausted troops has to be sent back to your city. In the example Ashley has a choice between the monk and the chanter and decided on the monk. So now the party consists of Zacmar, Sagani and Chanter.

You are correct when you said '"absorbing the 5" (to save everyone else) kill Sagani?' Sagani made the ultimate sacrifice and took one for the party so they could continue on, she is a hero after all .

The Chanter is the only exhausted card because it does not have a stamina icon in the top right corner like Zacmar does. Buildings do not suffer exhaustion and the monk was sent back to the city. Had the monk not been sent back to the city it too would have been exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.