Subject: After All Creatures Big and Small rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My son and I play ACBS many times and we like it! If we move to Agricola, is the difficulty level going to increase significantly? What are the most crucial differences between Agricola and ACBS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference is that you now have to feed your workers every couple rounds. The buildings in ACBaS are no longer present and are replaced by hand cards (that give you certain bonuses).

Also, the game kind of forces you to have a little bit of everything on your farm, otherwise you'll get hit by negative points.
For newer players, it can be challenging to feed your workers and many people feel that this is what the game is all about, avoiding disaster.

I don't know if you've played Caverna: The Cave Farmers, but some consider it to be slightly easier when it comes to feeding people. Also, Caverna has building tiles instead of cards, so there's no luck of the draw. Of course, many players use a draft to mitigate the luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigdanorama wrote:

I don't know if you've played Caverna: The Cave Farmers, but some consider it to be slightly easier when it comes to feeding people. Also, Caverna has building tiles instead of cards, so there's no luck of the draw. Of course, many players use a draft to mitigate the luck.

I have heard about Caverna but never played it.

So, in your opinion, is the transition from ACBS to Caverna easier than ACBS to Agricola?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Agricola: Family Edition is coming out soon or has just come out (it's not clear to me). It's supposed to make the scoring much easier to understand among a few other small changes to make it easier. That might be a good step, if you guys see that you like that you can go to the regular version or even Caverna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Agricola: Family Edition is coming out soon or has just come out (it's not clear to me). It's supposed to make the scoring much easier to understand among a few other small changes to make it easier. That might be a good step, if you guys see that you like that you can go to the regular version or even Caverna.

it indeed got out already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Bigdanorama wrote:

I have heard about Caverna but never played it.

So, in your opinion, is the transition from ACBS to Caverna easier than ACBS to Agricola?

Caverna has more rules than Agricola. Also when you play the full game, there are more different buildings available in Caverna than hand cards in Agricola. So from a complexity standpoint, i dont think that Caverna is the way to go.

Caverna is more forgiving though. In Agricola, struggling to feed your family is always part of the game. In Caverna, only if you choose so by aggressively expanding your family as early as possible. If you dont do that, Caverna is about choosing your way how to score points from very early on. You are free how to do so, feeding your family is not really central to the game (which may sound good, but is rather boring to me. YMMV though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.