Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Romulan Mining Fleet + Braving a Hazard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

Can a Romulan Mining Fleet park itself in a Phenomenon and use a command to mine for 2 production without braving the hazard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you only need to roll for the hazard when moving into the system and when you choose to brave it to collect the research token.

if the fleet only sits there to mine, then they dont roll for the hazard but neither do they get the research token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
you only need to roll for the hazard when moving into the system and when you choose to brave it to collect the research token.

if the fleet only sits there to mine, then they dont roll for the hazard but neither do they get the research token.

This is not entirely correct. You only need to "Brave the Hazard" when you end your movement in a hazardous system, you don't check if you are just moving through. So it isn't the "moving into" that triggers the check but the "ending movement in" that causes you the "Brave the Hazard" (pg. 12 first column).

You can sit in a hazardous system without needing to "Brave the Hazard" again, but if you are mining the phenomenon you still need to spend a command point and "Brave the Hazard" again (pg. 14 note at bottom of second column) to mine the resources.

However, to address the specific question for the Romulan mining fleet, I agree that there would be no need to "Brave the Hazard" to activate it's ability to spend the command and gain the 2 production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burgess
msg tools
I disagree with your interpretation of pages 12 and 14. Ending movement presupposes that you actually did a movement command. The mining fleet just stays there and never moved, so page 12 doesn't apply. It even says ships built in a planet with a hazard do not roll because they also didn't move. It continues in bold, stating that moving is the requirement. Regarding page 14, the purpose of braving that hazard is getting the research token. Spending a command token does not cause a hazard to need to be braved. The statement you refer to just says someone may spend a command to brave the hazard, again with the goal of getting the research token. Mining has nothing to do with the research token.

Page 12 is actually perfect evidence that the hazard is ignore with the example of building a ship. As this built ship would not roll on a planet, the mining fleet also would not roll, as neither have met the requirement, moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burgess
msg tools
The danger for page 12 is centered around moving and just being in the system is safe. You're staying outside the asteroid belt. The danger in page 14 is centered around the research token and the rest of the system is safe for mining or just hanging around for giggles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
prowllives wrote:
I disagree with your interpretation of pages 12 and 14. Ending movement presupposes that you actually did a movement command. The mining fleet just stays there and never moved, so page 12 doesn't apply. It even says ships built in a planet with a hazard do not roll because they also didn't move. It continues in bold, stating that moving is the requirement.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I agree that a ship that starts in a system and does not move, does not have to "Brave the Hazard". However if that ship intends to mine the resources from the system, then they will need to "Brave the Hazard" first. The OP had said that moving into the system caused the check, and I was just clarifying that if a ship is passing through there is no check, it is the act of ending your movement there that causes the check (hence the reference to page 12).

prowllives wrote:
Regarding page 14, the purpose of braving that hazard is getting the research token. Spending a command token does not cause a hazard to need to be braved. The statement you refer to just says someone may spend a command to brave the hazard, again with the goal of getting the research token. Mining has nothing to do with the research token.

Again I agree, it isn't spending a command point that is causing the check, it is the act of mining the resources causing the check. This is what I pointed out in my post.

prowllives wrote:
Page 12 is actually perfect evidence that the hazard is ignore with the example of building a ship. As this built ship would not roll on a planet, the mining fleet also would not roll, as neither have met the requirement, moving.

Except page 14 specifically points out that you do make the check by saying "Note: If one of your Ships starts your turn on a Phenomenon, you may spend a Command to Brave the Hazard without actually Moving." This is under the section discussing Further Study which is referring to mining the resources. If you just want to sit there and without mining the resources, no Command or Check is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakosDJ wrote:

Except page 14 specifically points out that you do make the check by saying "Note: If one of your Ships starts your turn on a Phenomenon, you may spend a Command to Brave the Hazard without actually Moving." This is under the section discussing Further Study which is referring to mining the resources. If you just want to sit there and without mining the resources, no Command or Check is required.

I don't see anything on page 14 specifically "referring to mining the resources."

I believe Angelus and Michael are correct. Once the fleet is parked at the Phenomenon, it can mine without Braving the Hazard. The player will not get the research token though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the mining has nothing to do with the hazard or token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
csouth154 wrote:

I would even go so far as to guess that it would take 2 commands if the fleet wanted to collect the production (no hazard roll) and then brave the hazard to collect the research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

I would even go so far as to guess that it would take 2 commands if the fleet wanted to collect the production (no hazard roll) and then brave the hazard to collect the research.

Yup. 100% correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Romulan Mining Fleet uses a Command to take 2 Production from a Phenomenon they don’t have to Brave the Hazard. If they had stopped in the Sector on a previous turn, they would have to spend another command to take the Research from Phenomenon. You only have to Brave a Hazard when you end your movement in a Hazardous Sector or spend a command to Research the Hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Leck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Can Roman Mining Fleet be used during the build phase? There's nothing saying that you can't, just that it must be on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
[q="xorkaya"]Can Roman Mining Fleet be used during the build phase? There's nothing saying that you can't, just that it must be on your turn.

Mining Fleet does not use the words "on your turn". It says "may only be used once per turn". I believe you must still use a mining fleet during the command phase because that's when the book says special rules requiring commands must be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xorkaya wrote:
Can Roman Mining Fleet be used during the build phase? There's nothing saying that you can't, just that it must be on your turn.

You can't use commands during the building phase, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
To use the mining ability of the Mining Fleet you need to spend a command. You cannot use commands during the build phase, so you cannot use the mining ability during the build portion of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.