GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,871 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: ...but will my wife like it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a casual gamer, but does play some medium complexity games.

One of her favourite games is Agricola, because it has several qualities she likes:
- beautiful artwork
- good thematic integration
- variability from play to play (the 14 card deal)
- MOST OF ALL: at the end of the game, she has something to show for her work (a completed farm!)

She really likes Broom Service, Discoveries, and some other lighter games too, but often says that it would be nice to have another game or two that are more like Agricola (a bit more complexity and chance to develop something).

Will Grand Austria Hotel fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that it will. The game is beautiful. The theme comes through for me. With all of the variety of cards, replayability is high. At game end, you can see the staff you've hired, a (hopefully) full hotel and a nice pile of VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people seem to get a little stressed about meeting the emperor's demands, but if she can cope with feeding her people in Agricola she should be fine with Grand Austria.

It definitely has a good amunt of variabilty between games - we've had 13 2 player games, and they've all felt fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, there will be a good change she will like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that Grand Austria Hotel is the game that gives me the most this feeling of accomplishment at the end of a game. Seeing those rooms filling up and the fact that you have to physically flip them is very fun.

This is probably my wife's favorite game these days (for the last 4 months or so) but she might be used to more complex games that yours.

However, you have to be careful of the answers you get from people when you ask on that particular games forum - you will have a natural positive bias.

If the 14 cards provide you with sufficient vaiability in Agricola, I don't see why GaH would fall short. Artwork is dependent on anybody's taste and can vary widely from person to person, so I can't help you here. Regarding thematic integration, well, I don't think it is as thematic as many other games and that is not, for me, a strong suit of the game (why do blue guests only want blue rooms?).

Overall, this is a game that works very well for my wife and I and I believe it will provide you with the replaybility and the sese of accomplishment you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Let me start by saying that Grand Austria Hotel is the game that gives me the most this feeling of accomplishment at the end of a game. Seeing those rooms filling up and the fact that you have to physically flip them is very fun.

This is probably my wife's favorite game these days (for the last 4 months or so) but she might be used to more complex games that yours.

However, you have to be careful of the answers you get from people when you ask on that particular games forum - you will have a natural positive bias.

If the 14 cards provide you with sufficient vaiability in Agricola, I don't see why GaH would fall short. Artwork is dependent on anybody's taste and can vary widely from person to person, so I can't help you here. Regarding thematic integration, well, I don't think it is as thematic as many other games and that is not, for me, a strong suit of the game (why do blue guests only want blue rooms?).

Overall, this is a game that works very well for my wife and I and I believe it will provide you with the replaybility and the sese of accomplishment you are looking for.

There are certain types of find in a hotel. You have your cheap ones, your suites, and your deluxe Jacuzzi rooms. If I remember right, blue is nobility, red is military, yellow are celebrity, and green are travelers. I'm probably of on a couple of the descriptions, but it doesn't really matter. Your nobility want suites, your celebrities want the Jacuzzi, the travelers just want whatever isn't taken. Theme works there.

As for the trouble with the emperor, I usually find that it's because they forget about the room group bonuses. Those bonuses give a good amount of cash and emperor favor, if you think about completing them. I plan on it and I rarely have trouble with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was tailor made for gamer wives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it will. The game is beautiful. The theme comes through for me. With all of the variety of cards, replayability is high. At game end, you can see the staff you've hired, a (hopefully) full hotel and a nice pile of VPs.

A nice pile of vp's is always nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Points are stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Points are stupid.

I love those point salads though, good for the diet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And any time a game could be mistaken for a Feld game, well, that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
And any time a game could be mistaken for a Feld game, well, that's a good thing.

Oh absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Oh absolutely.

OP here, checking back into the thread...

Every time someone says "Feld", part of me dies. Might be taking this one off the Want List.

Is this game really like a Feld? I haven't gotten that sense at all from what I've read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice for actions is right in Feld's wheelhouse. What about his games don't you like? His designs totally resonate with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Oh absolutely.

OP here, checking back into the thread...

Every time someone says "Feld", part of me dies. Might be taking this one off the Want List.

Is this game really like a Feld? I haven't gotten that sense at all from what I've read.

The clever dice play is Feldian, but at the same time the game stands in it's own. It's very thematic, highly replayable, totally wife friendly, and the illustrations are different for every guest. Thaf for me makes it very immersive and always refreshing. My game of 2015 easily and in my top 10 of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Well, not for everyone. I enjoy Grand Austria and really don't think it "feels" much like most Feld games. I'll play the Feld's, multiple times even, but they don't all resonate with me. So personally I wouldn't lump this into the Feld category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Far less Feld Point Salad(tm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Dice for actions is right in Feld's wheelhouse. What about his games don't you like? His designs totally resonate with me.

OP checking in to answer the question.

My dislike for Feld is at least nuanced: I recognize that he is quite a clever designer. In fact, I feel like he is one of the best at blending mechanics. My problem with his games is that when I play his games, they feel acutely mechanical. Moreso than other euros that also tend to share that mechanical trait.

It's almost as if his cleverness with mechanics pushes the mechanics to the forefront of my consciousness, but I don't think that is the only factor. I think another problem is that I loathe the settings most of his games are placed in (medievel Europe), which makes it more difficult for me to sink into the setting of the game. The extremity of the point-salad qualities of his games would probably be the third issue. I know a lot of euros use point-salad, but his games tend to be even more salady - every path leads to equal points sort of thing.

There is no sense of theme or immersion for me when I play his games. Games like Elfenland, Medina, Agricola, and Terra Mystics are also euros, but each one of them seems to have better chosen settings/themes, and the mechanics seem more distinct and focused. I can sink into those games in a way. Elfenland is a hand management game, and I know that, but I still have a sense of being an elf trying to plot a journey in which something is at stake. Agricola - farming, strongly. Medina - rebuilding the cit, decent. Terra Mystica - taking over a world, sure. Bruges? Cards for things, things for things, things are points, cards are points - balance, balance, balance - meh.

As I type this, I think I've finally figured out why I don't like Feld's games: while Agricola might be a point salad, I can taste all the ingredients (animals vs. house expansion vs. etc); Feld's games are salad smoothies in which everything is overblended. Feld = overly symmetrical.

That analogy might sound meaningless to those who love Feld games, but it's the best I can do.

Having said all that, I do enjoy Castles of Burgundy. It has most of the things I don't like about Feld games, but the spatial puzzle of building placement combined with the dice rolling and need to keep options open somehow works for me. In fact I only have two complaints about the game: the graphic design (overall visuals, and unlabeled/uniconed buildings - both of which are not his fault), and somewhat oddly integrated trade goods mechanic.

Anyways, all that to say that if it's overly symmetrical (like Feld), even if my wife liked it, I would be meh on it or worse. If it's more like a Dorn, I'l appreciate it but will never love it. If it's like a Pfister, I'll love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, theme is all about doing a little pretend - suspend your disbelief and you can envision yourself doing whatever the game is trying to get across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why people would say this game has some flavor of a Feld game, but I think the feel has more in common with Agricola than a Feld game. The dice mechanism is nothing like the worker placement of Agricola, but the artwork is by Franz and the actions feel as thematic in Austria as they do in Agricola. Also, the final state of your player board shows how successful you were at managing your hotel. Austria is not a point salad game.

However, do not feel that you must talk yourself into liking this game. If it does not get you excited, then move on to a different game. There are too many excellent games these days to spend too long debating whether to purchase one particular title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This game definitely feels like a Feld game. But, at the same time it also has way more theme than your average Feld game.

So take that for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.