T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you put a time limit on how long everyone looks at their cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J C
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We haven't yet played at all, but I'm trying to prepare for as smooth a runthrough as possible. As I understand it, once everyone selects a section of the panorama to "investigate," we each take and silently read our cards simultaneously.

Do you place a limit on how long a player can study his or her card before putting it back face-down? Also, once it's back onto the board, is he or she allowed to look at it again on a whim?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costanzojt wrote:
We haven't yet played at all, but I'm trying to prepare for as smooth a runthrough as possible. As I understand it, once everyone selects a section of the panorama to "investigate," we each take and silently read our cards simultaneously.

Do you place a limit on how long a player can study his or her card before putting it back face-down? Also, once it's back onto the board, is he or she allowed to look at it again on a whim?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you look at the cards without a time limit.
Sometimes you have to take a closer look at the art of a card or there is a lot of text and I would take as much time as needed (as long as you won't look at the card for minutes ;P)

As long as your pawn is on an card you may look at it, so you may look at a card several times.

PS. If I play the game with my girlfriend and both of us have a receptacle on the same card the time captain may look at it at first and read it^^
This is our special rule and therefore much more fun to be time captain^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A timer is not necessary. To be honest, there isn't that much text on the back of each card, so it would not take long to read it. I allow people to keep the scenery card in hand when they are talking about what they see in their location, so that they can prompt themselves if they forget things.

Its not an exercise in memorisation after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't put a time limit on it.

You never know what is going to be important on a card and rushing folks may cause you to lose important information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, do not put a timer on it. This is a cooperative game, do not rush it, take your time and enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the general consensus is to let players read the cards for as long as they'd like as many times as they'd like (assuming they're still on the space).

If that's the case, a follow-up question is, how do you prevent players from simply reading the cards aloud to relay information to others? It seems to me one of the fun elements of the game is trying to convey the important info only by rehashing (and remembering?) using one's own words, as stated in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costanzojt wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the general consensus is to let players read the cards for as long as they'd like as many times as they'd like (assuming they're still on the space).

If that's the case, a follow-up question is, how do you prevent players from simply reading the cards aloud to relay information to others? It seems to me one of the fun elements of the game is trying to convey the important info only by rehashing (and remembering?) using one's own words, as stated in the rule book.

You tell them at the start of the game "do not read the cards aloud. Try and memorize any/all pertinent parts and relay that info".

That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't say occasionally someone would read the card word for word and I don't think it gave us any sort of major advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costanzojt wrote:
...how do you prevent players from simply reading the cards aloud to relay information to others? It seems to me one of the fun elements of the game is trying to convey the important info only by rehashing (and remembering?) using one's own words, as stated in the rule book.
Tell them not to do it. That may be easier said than done, because some people seem unable to do so, during the Dice Tower play-throughs, Tom, Sam and Zee often read verbatim.

Don't forget though, rules introduced on a card must be read aloud.

You're right, paraphrasing and describing what you've seen is part of the fun of the game, especially when the team is on a subsequent run, an agent inspects a space that only another has seen before, finds the one piece of information the team needed last run, and ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.