Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of ATS Streets of Stalingrad a few days ago and my contents don't look like the contents I'm seeing in the pictures. The map here looks like one map with really big hexes. I got 4 maps with really small hexes.

Also, my game did not come with charts. I called the company and they sent me some charts. The rule book said to read the examples of play first, but I have no examples of play. So I'm wondering if I have the wrong version of this basic game.

Any thoughts on why I'm missing parts and possibly have the wrong map? I did order my game directly from Critical Hit, so I thought if anyone would get the order right, it would be them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie,
There are at least four or five versions of that game banging around out there and three or four iterations of the map. Let's see if we can work out what you have and then address what might be lacking.

Are your maps printed on cardstock, by any chance?
What does the cover sheet say; Streets of Stalingrad or Stalin's Fury...or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply. The maps appear to be a thick card stock. They are about 18 3/4" long by about 12 1/2" wide and the hexes are 1" hexes. The contents on AFV chart 2 states there should be one board, but I have 4. Also, the picture caption states "The ATS BG2 map is actually a board, and provides a compact playing area that creates the Stalingrad battle experience with less 'overhead' than previous modules."

The first paragraph of the rules states to consult the examples of play which are also missing.

The cover of the rules says it's called "Streets of Stalingrad, Basic Game II"

Also, for the first scenario, Pavlov's House, I don't have the included German forces needed. The scenario says to use 6/5/6 Germans, but I only have 6/5/7 which I guess is close enough. Not sure that will make difference. Also, each scenario says to use the map, but the layout only shows one map, but not which of the 4 I have. I have to try and guess which map to use by looking for the grids called out for setup. The scenario states to occupy buildings G11 - about G14. On my map, those are all open hexes, the buildings near that are in H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is 20 pages long. I don't see a version number, but 20 pages seems correct for the page count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the 20 page rulebook I think you have the latest version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie

Examples of play: refer to the enclosed boxes, usually with diagrams, scattered throughout the rulebook.

Pavlov's House: As I suggested earlier, there have been loads of ATS Stalingrad titles and least two different Basic Games covering the battle and at least two, maybe three versions of the map. ONR constant, though, is that the Pavlov's House scenario seems to show up in them all!
On my old-school Traktor Works maps, yeah, G11 and the rest are mostly all open hexes, so I believe we have a map-and-scenarios-don't match situation.
The map coordinates you gave match up with the map known as STAL II or sometimes Stalin's Fury.

My guess is that you've received scenarios that suit that map but the map you have is a remastered version of the original Traktor Works map.

You might want to contact CH and inform them of the mismatch and hope some STAL II maps around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input I'll call and ask about the map. I can make do without the examples of play, and I feel confident in saying there are no examples of play within the rules. It really is just rules. But after reading so many different rules from different games, I think i'll be ok.

The correct map however is something I want for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
Youtuber "bad karma" has recently posted a video describing exactly the same problem. Yes "Stal II" is the map you want - how to get it now, I don't have an answer sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! Just worked out that was you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank everyone for dropping by and reading the thread. I just got the correct map on Friday the 16th and the scenarios match up correctly now. I'll be putting up a short video later showing the correct map and how to use the maps that come with the game just in case anyone buys into the system and gets what I got first time around!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
“Nature uses as little as possible of anything.” ― Johannes Kepler
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaedrian wrote:
I want to thank everyone for dropping by and reading the thread. I just got the correct map on Friday the 16th and the scenarios match up correctly now. I'll be putting up a short video later showing the correct map and how to use the maps that come with the game just in case anyone buys into the system and gets what I got first time around!!

Please let us know when the vid is available, Eddie. I'm glad you are all set now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest in this topic. Here is a link to the video showing the maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
“Nature uses as little as possible of anything.” ― Johannes Kepler
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy about two years ago...it was a new copy I was told at the time...and my map is exactly like your replacement map except yours is lighter in tone and glossy while mine is more sepia toned with a matte finish; which makes no difference to me.

BUT - my rulebook is a stapled rulebook without holes for inclusion in a notebook AND is different; mine does not have an image of the play map in it and is strictly black & white. I know that CH re-did the main game rules a year or so ago, but as this is a starter game for the system, I am surprised that they republished the rules for this package.

I can play the game with my rules and I have played it...this is just an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And then of course there is ATS Tractor Works as well. This is more recent but how it differs from these two games I can't say. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all - I was looking at getting into ATS with one of the "Basic" games as well. Eddie - any further comments/thoughts on ATS and Stalin's Fury?

I'm purely interested in ATS as a solo endeavor using the ATS Robot 2.0 or perhaps modifying the CoH solo system or using the upcoming LnLT solo system. I decided to sell all of my ASL stuff because it just wasn't solo friendly with using an AI/Bot, and SASL was too huge of an effort for me for learning rules. I had a hard enough time going through the ASLSKs, let alone full ASL, and then SASL on top of that.

Right now, CH has two "new" Basic games that appear to be using the 2014 logos: Basic Game 1 (Stalingrad) and 2 (Stalin's Fury). Stalingrad, game 1, has price tag of $29.99 and says "All New" and a very detailed description of components (actually says 4 map boards!), whereas Stalin's Fury, game 2, has price tag of $39.99 and doesn't say "All new" and its description is very generic, and lacks any details on components. So.....are they the same game, or not? Game 1 that's "All new" seems to have the same components that Eddie's Stalin's Fury had, but at $10 less. Is there truly $10 more "stuff" in Game 2 (Stalin's Fury) than Game 1 (Stalingrad)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started looking into the game, I think my research revealed that game 1 was just infantry and that game 2, Stalin's Fury included the basic armor rules. But, I cannot tell you where I got that information as their website is pretty vague. It might be safer to go with the first game if it truly is updated as Stalin's Fury for me had some issues that needed help sorting out.

All in all, it is a good system though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think my research revealed that game 1 was just infantry and that game 2, Stalin's Fury included the basic armor rules. But, I cannot tell you where I got that information as their website is pretty vague.

This appears to be the case. I have not confirmed this with my own eye holes but a reliable source assures me that this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.