Subject: Last Player Advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael S.
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Not an exper on the game yet as I've only played 3 or 4 games but is anyone else concerned that being last player is too big of an advantage. You can really change the board and no one can react. My group thought rather than finishing the round it should just end at end of the players turn that triggered end game. Either that or give everyone including that player one last turn. The person who gets last turn shouldn't be predetermined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
as the last player, you also get to buy the cards that no one wanted (or couldn't afford) from the market first. SO if there was only one promote card, etc, then you could have a lesser selection.

I don't think it's an advantage. They can change the board, but that happens on everyones turn. Every turn the board can change. The only difference here is the perception that you had control over it because it was your 'last turn'. So the problem isn't the board changing, it's your inability to react to the board changes. And that stinks, sure, but it has to end somewhere right? And certainly ending it sooner instead of finishing the round would have the exact same problem (other players' turns were undone and they don't have the ability to react) AND it would be unfair in the number of turns received.

To each their own, but I think this is simply not a real problem. But I've also only played the game 4 or so times now, so if you've played it 20 and have noticed a pattern for sure that the last player always wins, that'd be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't seem like a big problem to me given the advantage of the first player for card purchase. Only if the last player has a HUGE turn will it make a difference. But that also depends on how they purchase cards and have played the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played many times either, but I can suggest more like "first turn disadvantage".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Veen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mschauer wrote:
Not an exper on the game yet as I've only played 3 or 4 games but is anyone else concerned that being last player is too big of an advantage. You can really change the board and no one can react. My group thought rather than finishing the round it should just end at end of the players turn that triggered end game. Either that or give everyone including that player one last turn. The person who gets last turn shouldn't be predetermined.

The last player being predetermined and having a lot of power over the final board state was an intentional choice. We felt like it gave texture to what aspects were better or worse at being various places in the turn order. Also, because the game rewards a lot of strategic planning and forward thinking, we didn't want it to surprise anyone and just end out of nowhere before they took their final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.