Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I'm strongly considering grabbing this, but am a bit worried. I've now got Sentinels (+all expansions), Galactic Strike Force, and Spirit Island (backed), and I've realized... Greater than Games are amazing at theme, but sometimes their games are a bit... fiddly.

I'd like to read the rulebook to see how bad this one is! The dots on the map are frightening, as is the supposed character imbalance.

Is there anywhere I can find a pdf of it? My google searching has turned up nothing.

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I eould wait on buying it. They are redoing the rules, and you will have to by a conversion kit to get this edition to work with the new rules, and expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Is the new version this Prime War? The core has all my favourite characters! Do we have any real idea what's going on there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prime war is the new base set coming out summer 2017? When it get released, there will be a conversion kit for owners of flames of freedom.

My opinion, at that time the will also release a new edition of flames of freedom with the new rules, and update componets.

You can read more on the greater than games forums in the tactics section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
So no rulebook online, then?

Hmm... How do we know the rules are changing significantly? It doesn't look like it in the announcement and I've skimmed the forums a bit looking for details. The only real rule change appears to be in the Scenarios...

Where is this conversion kit information located?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are they redoing it? I really love this game and honestly don't have an idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. It would be nice to see just how they are restructuring the rules for the new expansion. I think they wanted this to be their next big franchise game like SoTM was for them for such a long time. Unfortunately it didn't seem to have the same staying power in it's current form. It came out big and then quickly fell off the radar.

For me I think the scenarios just needed to be a little more action oriented. They often felt more puzzle-like, which was a bit of a let down for a super hero mini combat game. When playing just skirmish to a number of knockdowns it was more enjoyable.

To address the OP's question there is a PDF of the abbreviated rules that was linked in the gameplay section of the Kickstarter campaign page. Also there is a gameplay video, but I found the campaign's gameplay videos to be more of an overview rather than a real rules walkthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to see a better map. The ones provided were terribly 'washed-out' and didn't feel like any particular terrain. It never felt like a battle was being waged across a city or a volcanic island - just on a bunch of hexes with different numbers of dots. Making the environment more interactive and meaningful could help in that regard. The line of sight/elevation mechanic also wasn't terribly intuitive at first.

I really like Sentinel Tactics, but it could definitely use some improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
I'd also like to see a better map. The ones provided were terribly 'washed-out' and didn't feel like any particular terrain. It never felt like a battle was being waged across a city or a volcanic island - just on a bunch of hexes with different numbers of dots. Making the environment more interactive and meaningful could help in that regard. The line of sight/elevation mechanic also wasn't terribly intuitive at first.

I really like Sentinel Tactics, but it could definitely use some improvement.

Spiff has done 3D Terrian that you can make out of cardstock to help the feel of fighting on a island, city

http://www.spiffworld.com/tactics/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The problem with Flame of Freedom is two-fold, from my understanding.

1. The "walk up" appeal of the game, it doesn't sell off of shelves in stores well enough.

2. The initial learning curve is kind of harsh.

The game will be almost entirely intact, the changes we are looking to make are ones that will make the game more accessible to new players, while also trying to preserve the tournament style play that works well.

There is a lot of stuff I am excited about that I can't talk about, because so much is up in the air they don't want any play-testers shooting their mouths off about stuff that doesn't work out, or that changes before release.

The only way a remake of the original set will happen though is if the original run is exhausted and there is demand. I have no idea how close or far away that would be, and from where we are now I don't think it will be a big conversion kit. Of course things are subject to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors are muted on the map tiles otherwise you lose the elevation dots, etc. Trade Offs have to be made between pure aesthetics vs usability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
The colors are muted on the map tiles otherwise you lose the elevation dots, etc. Trade Offs have to be made between pure aesthetics vs usability.

Oh I understand the technical reason it was done. But it was still ugly. And I'm sure they could've done this in a better way (I mean plenty of other tactical minis games have great looking maps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.