Popular Tags: ccg [+] [View All]
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played L5R and I am well aware that it's well outdated. However, for someone thinking about buying a finite amount of cards with no interest in competing in a kotei, would you say that Gold was a good edition? What were its strengths and weaknesses? Do I remember that it was kind of slow? What base sets were the best, in your opinion, besides Imperial? ... mmm... Imperial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particuliar reason for choosing Gold ed?

Gold edition got rid of Yoritomo's Alliance, Naga, Toturi's Army, and the Monks.

The Imperial Favor was split into four separate actions, each represented by one of Toturi's children.

Many personalites' gold cost were raised making it harder to bring them out and thereby slowed down gameplay.

A weaker version of the Ancestral Swords were printed for each clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, gold would be my last pick too. In fact, that's about when I got out of L5R. Personnaly, I'd pick jade. IRRC you had black scrolls then, which were way cool.

Also, the monks had some kick ass homes. Gotta love starting with a ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Gold. I liked the slower environment. The slower environment was more forgiving on design and deckbuilding was less decisive. Might be a plus if you are going to buy into a limited (non-expanding environment). I also liked the removal of the minor factions in favor of strengthening the major factions. The focus on major factions could also give you greater flexibility within the confines of the limited card set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as another vote for Gold. The older environments were a lot of fun, but grew increasingly degenerate from power creep as each set was released. Gold wasn't perfect, but it marked the point where they at least made an effort to fix some of the issues. The splitting of the favor was a very good thing, as it allowed clans that were never, ever, ever going to get the favor to do something with it anyway, which was cool. L5R is a lot of fun, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I picked Gold is because, like baby birds, it's "cheap, cheap, cheap," it was pretty much the last set that I played at all. I had a great exploding crane military deck but it was only Jade legal. In fact, it was at the end of the Jade expansions that I had that deck. Gold was my last edition as well.

I remember enjoying Jade a whole lot, but I can't even find Jade booster boxes anymore. If anyone knows someone that still carries them for cheap, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to worry, Cranes are pretty sick in Gold too. They never should have made the card Campsite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a minute I read the title as "LCR Gold Edition Question" and was wondering how the hell they could make a gold version of that crap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.