Subject: Question about drawing city cards and being KO'd. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Yohai
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
If you are sent back to your home city due to a KO, do you have to take a city event card? The very first thing I'll be doing is leaving the city in the movement phase and thus I think that I don't have to take one since I wont be there in the adventure phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are knocked out, your turn (and adventure) ends. So you don't take a city event card at that point.

When it is your turn again, you move first before you go on any new adventure. If you don't move but stay in your home city, you draw a city event card in the adventure phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Yohai
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
That's what I thought. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find that you are healed after you are KO'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
I can't find that you are healed after you are KO'd.

I think it missed getting in the rulebook, but rest assured that you do heal (remove) all your wounds. Otherwise, you'd remain in a perpetual cycle of being KO'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or stay in a city until you drew a fully heal card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:

If you didn't clear your wounds when KO'd you would reactivate next turn still fully wounded, and instantly be KO'd again. There would be no opportunity to draw city cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
mageith wrote:

If you didn't clear your wounds when KO'd you would reactivate next turn still fully wounded, and instantly be KO'd again. There would be no opportunity to draw city cards.

Reactivate? If you mean "heroes recover," that is at the end of the turn.

"Heroes Recover
Any Heroes that were KO’d during the Game Round
get to stand back upright and re-join the game." Page 14.

As for drawing City cards. "Draw a City Card
The first thing the Hero must always do in a City is draw a City card. Most City cards are read aloud when they are drawn, though some have a Secret icon in the upper left corner meaning that the card should be kept secret and taken into hand to play later like an Event card." page 13

I understand the rule has been stated by the author and accepted by all players but the game can be played without an automatic and unrealistic full recovery immediately after being KO'd. It slows the game to be sure.

That's how I played it for a long time. But the following rule would prevent that. "If the Hero ever has Wound Markers equal to or greater than their Wounds value, they are KO’d." Page 9.

It would also prevent the use of those cards that heal wounds once you reached the threshold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Carcking wrote:
mageith wrote:

Reactivate? If you mean "heroes recover," that is at the end of the turn.

"Heroes Recover
Any Heroes that were KO’d during the Game Round
get to stand back upright and re-join the game." Page 14.

As for drawing City cards. "Draw a City Card
The first thing the Hero must always do in a City is draw a City card. Most City cards are read aloud when they are drawn, though some have a Secret icon in the upper left corner meaning that the card should be kept secret and taken into hand to play later like an Event card." page 13

I understand the rule has been stated by the author and accepted by all players but the game can be played without an automatic and unrealistic full recovery immediately after being KO'd. It slows the game to be sure.

That's how I played it for a long time. But the following rule would prevent that. "If the Hero ever has Wound Markers equal to or greater than their Wounds value, they are KO’d." Page 9.

It would also prevent the use of those cards that heal wounds once you reached the threshold.

Not really sure what you're saying, or what your position is. Are you suggesting you can continue the game fully wounded, and draw cards at a city while being fully wounded? Clearly, that's not the case. The hero only gets to stand back up and re-join the game because he is fully recovered - that is, all wounds healed. If he stood back up and re-joined the game fully wounded he would be instantly KO'd at the start of the next turn (if not perpetually at the end of the current turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
In several other Flying Frog games - most notably A Touch of Evil - there's been rules that you can't heal wounds once the results of combat are known and wounds must be applied. This is different from a card or effect that prevents damage, which could be used. Sometimes the game will allow healing between fight rounds, but you have to do that before the heroes and villains start rolling dice.

So in the case of being K.O'd because of fights or a failed Cliffhanger, you can't say, "As my vision fades, I use the doctor's kit and I return to full health."

I agree with the other posters that drawing a City Card is silly. The hero is interacting with the city and its residents in some fashion, and that's not happening when the hero is unconscious; otherwise people who have been in comas for years would know who the new U.S. president is when the office changes hands.

You do recover at the end of the turn. The penalty for being K.O.'d is that you miss out on parts of the current turn. For example, if you encounter a nazi figure in a space while traveling, you'd have to fight it. If you get knocked out, you're sent back home and miss out on the chance to explore or continue moving to your destination. It's been this way in all of Flying Frog's games. Getting K.0.'d during the Mystery Phase of A Touch of Evil always sucked because recovery happens before the Mystery card is drawn and you wind out missing the entire next turn, whereas getting KO'd in a different part of the current turn meant you recovered near the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.