$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Bios: Megafauna» Forums » Rules

Subject: Carnivore Culling (or, Have I been playing this game wrong for 5 years?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting back into playing this game after a hiatus, and I'm concerned that I may have been playing terribly wrong for a long time.

Say you have an animal in the Herbivore slot, and an animal in the Carnivore slot that feeds on the Herbivore. At this time, neither one has any RoadRunner DNA, and sizes line up, so the Carnivore is A-OK.

On the Herbivore's turn, the animal acquires a card that gives it, e.g. 1 "N" DNA. The way I've been playing this game for years, at the end of the Herbivore's turn, the Predator will be culled, because it has no N DNA.

However, it seems that section 14.1 of the Living Rules, "Prey Suitability", is only invoked in two cases:
1) When an animal or immigrant moves into a Predator slot of a Biome
2) During a Carnivore Contest, which only happens in an overcrowded predator triangle.

So, in the example above, the Predator would be fine unless/until another Carnivore moves into that triangle to compete with it, at which time it would be culled.

Do I have it right now? Or am I missing something in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4.3 Herbivore & Carnivore Contests and Final Culling.

Cull any animals that have lost contests or have no food.

Off to the tar pit with starving carnivores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There it is! Thanks. I should have trusted "Past Jason" after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something worth noting...

If you're playing with the Living Rules, you have the optional action of spending two genes--placing them on the first card of the lower display (the one from the scoring decks)--and buying a level of Road Runner DNA. Predators on the species who bought the Road Runner can get that same DNA for free. It's just like predators getting the option to shift size when their prey does.

In your example, if the herbivor bought its N DNA with the Living Rules actions the predator WOULD have the option of taking the same DNA. If it did, it wouldn't cull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.