Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Nikolev has to be auctioned first. It only can run one route for 50 until the 3 trains and green tiles come out. Several other minors can start running two routes quickly. Minors only come with their home token.

So what is the minimum to put into the Nikolev to get to the green phase and get at least one green train and have money left over to maybe open up another minor in the meantime? Once green phase starts, things get better, but by that time the other minors can have gained a lot of money for their players.

With four players, there is more money to start with, but we often play with five.

Thanks for any hints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that in this game you may skip dits. Thus, the Nikolaev can run for $80 with a 2-train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, forgot that one. Big difference. Still not sure if I should start the early game with 2 minors or one minor with two trains. I remember a key part is to be ready to convert or merge at the right time and not be left behind.

I played at WBC with Pierre and 2 others who were very familiar with the game. I was along for the ride hanging on.

But I liked it, and it still looks very promising. I just got my copy from All Aboard Games. I also got the 1867 expansion on your recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The traditional start bid for the Nik is R165. That way you get to 225 in OR3A and buy a 3-train - assuming there's one left! Then you can convert or merge at your convenience.

With 5 players you only have 252 to spend. There's still lots of options:
a) A cheap private and two cheap minors,
b) An expensive private and the Nik,
c) Two privates and a cheap minor,
d) An expensive minor and a cheap minor,
e) One private, a cheap minor & enough to buy another minor in SR2.
There's probably more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.