Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I think I have these things correctly, but wanted to make sure.

- Any capsule, even without astronauts, can test for life support right? Does that mean that 1) I could launch one capsule into orbit and get rid of the testing cards during the next three turns?; 2) I could put multiple capsules on one rocket to test 3 times in a row during one turn?

- Can I fly to the moon and back in one turn? If so, if that capsule lands. Can I then immediately put more rockets on it and fire it again if I would wish? I think it's yes in both cases, but again, just trying to make sure.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
Hi!

I think I have these things correctly, but wanted to make sure.

- Any capsule, even without astronauts, can test for life support right? Does that mean that 1) I could launch one capsule into orbit and get rid of the testing cards during the next three turns?; 2) I could put multiple capsules on one rocket to test 3 times in a row during one turn?

- Can I fly to the moon and back in one turn? If so, if that capsule lands. Can I then immediately put more rockets on it and fire it again if I would wish? I think it's yes in both cases, but again, just trying to make sure.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Yes to all but there is a subtle distinction between year and turn (which rarely matters in solitaire games.) Life support is tested at the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you can test life support w/o an astronaut?

Can you find a citation in the rule book? (Just curious...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Are you sure you can test life support w/o an astronaut?
Can you find a citation in the rule book? (Just curious...)

That's correct. Page 15, Off-Earth survival:

Quote:
2. Each agency draws an outcome card from its Life Support advancement for each undamaged capsule that agency has in space to see if life support works (even for unmanned capsules). (...)

What other way could you test capsule life support system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rzabcio wrote:
What other way could you test capsule life support system?
Conceptually, it seems that one could seal up the capsule on Earth (with astronauts inside it, even) and see how well it worked - opening the hatch if things went wrong.

But as usual with LE we assume that that sort of test has been done already as far as it can be, and what's left for the outcome cards is what can only be found out in the actual zero-G environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Conceptually, it seems that one could seal up the capsule on Earth (with astronauts inside it, even) and see how well it worked - opening the hatch if things went wrong.
Yaah, I have seen exactly the same argument about need of testing ion thrusters in Space: "why do we need to test them there, they were tested on the ground already!".

Sorry, but this is just wrong.

You cannot reproduce exactly the same conditions (for example because of Earth's gravitational well), so such test would not include all boundary values. Leaving Earth assumes tests on the ground have been done already. Tests we make are additional field-tests in final environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rzabcio wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
Yaah, I have seen exactly the same argument about need of testing ion thrusters in Space: "why do we need to test them there, they were tested on the ground already!".

Sorry, but this is just wrong.

You cannot reproduce exactly the same conditions (for example because of Earth's gravitational well), so such test would not include all boundary values. Leaving Earth assumes tests on the ground have been done already. Tests we make are additional field-tests in final environment.

We have seen this in real life with the Apollo 1 fire where three astronauts died during a ground test. The capsule was designed to use a pure oxygen environment of 5 pounds per square inch. However 5 psi in the vacuum of space was equivalent to 16 psi at sea level. This was what made the oxygen content so volatile and explosive.

The results may be the reverse of the situation being discussed here but the overall is the same - you cannot completely replicate a space environment on earth and hence equipment will not be fully tested until flown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.