Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One survival opportunity is "between actions on survivors' turn." Is this basically the same as saying "anytime during survivors' turn"?

Or is it literally "between actions" only, so only between a movement/activation combo?

h

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
It's definitely not saying anytime during a survivors turn. You can't use a survival partway through a move action and there are only certain points during another survivor's attack that you can use survival. It isn't strictly between though since before and after a movement/activation combo is also allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
It's definitely not saying anytime during a survivors turn. You can't use a survival partway through a move action and there are only certain points during another survivor's attack that you can use survival. It isn't strictly between though since before and after a movement/activation combo is also allowed.

Thanks very much; that's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure whether before/after were allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played it like "between actions", as in 'spend a movement'/'spend an action'/'anything else from special abilities' during survivors' (even different survivors, where applicable) activation. This basically means 'anytime, without interrupting movements/rolls/reflexes'.
I'd say not too punishing, once you get used to the mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
One survival opportunity is "between actions on survivors' turn." Is this basically the same as saying "anytime during survivors' turn"?

Or is it literally "between actions" only, so only between a movement/activation combo?

h

I've always interpreted "action" as any of the separate "things" a survivor can do during his act, be it moving or spending an activation point. So between those, survival can be spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
DavidT wrote:

h

I've always interpreted "action" as any of the separate "things" a survivor can do during his act, be it moving or spending an activation point. So between those, survival can be spent.

Right, but apparently, survival can also be spent before and after any of those "things," right? (e.g., at the very start of the survivors' turn, at the very end of the survivors' turn, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. I guess it's only specified to avoid absurdities like below.

You cannot move survivor a two squares, dash with survivor b out of the way, move the remaining three squares with survivor a.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
DavidT wrote:

h

I've been allowing myself to spend survival during the 'flow' (arrow between monster AI actions) and during the survivor's turn. However, I've been questioning whether it's OK for a survivor to spend a survival action, during the survivors turn, when said survivor has already ended their basic turn... I'd say yes.

Scenario:
(Monster's turn)
WL draws 'claw' and picks 'A' as the target. Before Move and Attack, survivors make use of the flow to attempt to counter. 'A' 'Dashes' into tall grass and 'Surges' to hide in it. 'B', in WL's blind spot, decides to 'Surge' and attack the WL. The attack is successful and 'B' wounds the WL, but WL reacts with a Basic Action and knocks down 'B' (NB 'B' isn't permitted to 'Dodge' after attacking).
'C' 'Encourages' 'B', who 'Dashes' away from the WL.
WL moves to the place 'A' was targeted at and the monster's turn is over.

If someone wants to correct me, please go ahead. As far as I know, a survivor may Surge or Dash if it's during the 'flow' (monster's turn) between action of another survivor's turn, I interpret this as between the start and end of the basic move and attack action... and assuming they're not knocked down, of course.

Dodge is permitted at anytime, except when attempting to dodge a reaction to an attack, by that survivor. I assume other's are permitted to use it
e.g. WL reacts to A's attack and targets A and B. B may dodge, but A may not.

The main restriction with all of the above is that each survivor may spend a particular survival action only once per round. A round being from the start of the survivor's turn to the end of the monster's turn and vice-versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Haertzen
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
hwknight wrote:
DavidT wrote:

h

I've been allowing myself to spend survival during the 'flow' (arrow between monster AI actions) and during the survivor's turn. However, I've been questioning whether it's OK for a survivor to spend a survival action, during the survivors turn, when said survivor has already ended their basic turn... I'd say yes.

Scenario:
(Monster's turn)
WL draws 'claw' and picks 'A' as the target. Before Move and Attack, survivors make use of the flow to attempt to counter. 'A' 'Dashes' into tall grass and 'Surges' to hide in it. 'B', in WL's blind spot, decides to 'Surge' and attack the WL. The attack is successful and 'B' wounds the WL, but WL reacts with a Basic Action and knocks down 'B' (NB 'B' isn't permitted to 'Dodge' after attacking).

If someone wants to correct me, please go ahead. As far as I know, a survivor may Surge or Dash if it's during the 'flow' (monster's turn) between action of another survivor's turn, I interpret this as between the start and end of the basic move and attack action... and assuming they're not knocked down, of course.

Dodge is permitted at anytime, except when attempting to dodge a reaction to an attack, by that survivor. I assume other's are permitted to use it

The main restriction with all of the above is that each survivor may spend a particular survival action only once per round. A round being from the start of the survivor's turn to the end of the monster's turn and vice-versa.

I agree with everything you said other than the last part. I don't have my book in front of me but I'm pretty sure a round starts with monster->survivor's turn instead of survivor->monster's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Gibons wrote:
hwknight wrote:
DavidT wrote:

h

Scenario:
(Monster's turn)

I agree with everything you said other than the last part. I don't have my book in front of me but I'm pretty sure a round starts with monster->survivor's turn instead of survivor->monster's turn.

Tricky... I considered that, but what about a nemesis encounter or if a survivor ambushes a monster? The survivors would then go first, so would the round start on the survivors turn?

For simplicity's sake, I'll agree with what you said and say no. If, for whatever reason, the survivor's start the Showdown first, it'll be as if the monster skipped it's turn and all survival actions would refresh at the start of the next survivor's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.