Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card reads, "At the end of each Exploration Phase, if a Hero does not control at least one Monster, he or she draws a Monster Card and places its figure on the closest unexplored edge."

My reading of this card is that at the end of every Exploration Phase EVERY hero checks to see if they control a monster. Each hero who does not places a new one.

However, when I sought to confirm this, I found little info online and those threads I did find spoke in terms of only the active hero performing this check.

The reason I believe it is *every* hero is that it speaks in (poorly worded) terms of "if A hero." Every other environment card that applies to only the player whose turn it is speaks in terms of "the ACTIVE hero."

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
My reading of this card is that at the end of every Exploration Phase EVERY hero checks to see if they control a monster. Each hero who does not places a new one.

This is how I have played this card. As you mentioned, it would say "active hero" or something similar if only that hero were required to draw a new monster card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterargument: “a hero” and “he or she” are singular. The wording doesn’t suggest this would apply to multiple heroes any more than it applies to the active hero.

My gut feeling for the intent of this card is that it forces a monster to be placed whether the hero explored or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
Counterargument: “a hero” and “he or she” are singular. The wording doesn’t suggest this would apply to multiple heroes any more than it applies to the active hero.

My gut feeling for the intent of this card is that it forces a monster to be placed whether the hero explored or not.

A hero is an indefinite. Hence the use of the indefinite article "A."

If it were only the current hero it would say active or the.

Regardless of intent, the wording is clear. the key is at the end of Each exploration phase.

"A Hero" can refer to multiple instances, so long as they meet the condition. I.e. They do not have a monster card and it is the end of an exploration phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.