6 Posts

Talon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can retarget missile on a ship in the same hex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the base-falling-into-a-black-hole scenario, and I just launched my fighter from the enemy base making sure to wait until the base had fired all missiles and disruptors in firing arc to make my escape.

The very next impulse before I moved, Talon wants to re-target a missile he launched two impulses ago onto my fighter.

We ruled he couldn't do so until I moved off the same hex because per the rules it's not in any firing arc. (No other Talon ships were in range either.)

Right? Wrong? A rules clarification would be great for posterity's sake.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relatedly, now I have a fighter moving speed six with a missile one hex behind him, forever. Any suggestions how to mitigate this degenerate outcome? A draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
You are right. You can only redirect the missile into a target within the firing arc of the redirecting ship. However, a ship with a missile launcher outside of that hex, could redirect it.

Quote:
Relatedly, now I have a fighter moving speed six with a missile one hex behind him, forever. Any suggestions how to mitigate this degenerate outcome? A draw?

Change the initiative so that it hits first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missiles need to be re-targeted by another Talon ship, they can't do it on their own.
As per 13.7 a ship with a missile launcher can spend 1 AP to re-target any one missile (doesn't have to have come from this ship) to an enemy ship in the Talon ship's firing arc.
The new target can be in the same hex as the missile, see the paragraph labelled "immediate detonation"

As for missile vs fighter: if there are no other ships on the map and the FTR can't pull some trick to turn around and target the missile without being destroyed I'd say Talon win since the Terran are prolonging the game to not lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out it's two hexes away or there'd be a heck of an initiative auction.

We paused, but we're going to finish playing it like this:

Base is about to fall into the hole, and he's got an untouched BC left.

If the BC can destroy the CV, then Talon wins. We the CLs can destroy the BC first Terran wins, with the decisive since I managed to get my last fighter onto the base and off again against all freaking odds.

Thanks for the reply! Much respect for what a puzzle this scenario turned out to be and how tight it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what do others think of the scenario?

I designed it and it's pretty complex, as special rules go. Wanted to get an impression of how folks, who weren't part of play test, experienced the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.