Subject: What happens when the pieces run out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Schultz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when a player runs out of pieces? That player loses, or the game is a draw (stalemate)?

This condition is trivial to produce, as each piece can be played on top of the previous piece until they are all used up in a tower 30 (or 40) pieces tall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
js3b wrote:
What happens when a player runs out of pieces? That player loses, or the game is a draw (stalemate)?

This condition is trivial to produce, as each piece can be played on top of the previous piece until they are all used up in a tower 30 (or 40) pieces tall.

In this case the game ends in a tie.

BTW, the number of pieces per player has been increased to 20, as Ken Shoda found out that some deadlocks in the diamond board needed a few more pieces to be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook updated accordingly. Sorry for the inconvenience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing that with twenty pieces each, in practice draws are quite rare. Has that been your experience so far, Nestor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
I am guessing that with twenty pieces each, in practice draws are quite rare. Has that been your experience so far, Nestor?

I've never reached even 15 during the playtests and I think that there is always a 'better path' to victory before reaching that number. However, as Ken Shoda has seemed to prove, with ultra-defensive play some deadlocks can be created that force players to use more pieces.

I've added more because I trust Ken. However ultra-defensive play by both sides will always lead to a draw in many (not all) other combinatorial games.

Why 20? Because I can only fit 40 pieces plus the board inside the cotton case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.