Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, there is a place for every game. So even if a game seems very stupid, it might be someone else's favorite game. So never call it stupid, just call it, not my type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it's actually stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard to see past one's own perspective. Personally it has taken me time, maybe more than I care to admit, to see the truth in your statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
21 22 44 19 6 12 ??
badge
mbmbmbmb
100+ pages of "worst Kickstarter ever" beg to differ. Some games can be fairly characterized as "stupid".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid? Admiral Ackbar "It's a TRAP!" GAME

Stupid good!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did once find this stupid party game when browsing the geek. It was called "Codenames" or something. Had a terrible rules set, and was just a clone of every other party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
100+ pages of "worst Kickstarter ever" beg to differ. Some games can be fairly characterized as "stupid".

But there could always be that 1 person out there that likes thos games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good critic knows that different people have different tastes, and that the virtues of something are not always obvious. As in most endeavors, a certain amount of humility is healthy.

However, a good critic also knows that some things are actually better than others. Otherwise, design would be trivial, and we wouldn't need critics. I wouldn't take any designer or critic seriously who claimed that there are no bad games.

See also Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
lomn wrote:

Just because it's possible for a stupid person to like a stupid game doesn't mean the stupid game isn't stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
lomn wrote:

Just because it's possible for a stupid person to like a stupid game doesn't mean the stupid game isn't stupid.

The person isn't stupid for having a different taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
lomn wrote:

Plenty of stupid bad and stupid good games out there. I think calling someone stupid for liking a game is what you're saying, but games are indeed stupid on many levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
A good critic knows that different people have different tastes, and that the virtues of something are not always obvious. As in most endeavors, a certain amount of humility is healthy.

However, a good critic also knows that some things are actually better than others. Otherwise, design would be trivial, and we wouldn't need critics. I wouldn't take any designer or critic seriously who claimed that there are no bad games.

See also Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Yes, there are games that are better then ether's. But that doesn't mean that the one that isn't as good, isn't a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Orr
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a wee story. I broke out Baseball 2045 to a few buddies who play fantasy baseball. After explaining the premise of the game (robots, cyborgs, etc.) they thought that it was absolutely stupid. I convinced them to give it a try. For those who don't know, there is a drafting mechanic in the game (these are fantasy baseball guys). We started at 7 PM. At 2 in the AM I had to break it off because of work the next day. Moral: a game might be stupid but it can still be fun as hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Yes, there are games that are better then ether's. But that doesn't mean that the one that isn't as good, isn't a good game.

That is exactly what it means. If there are variations in quality, then some of those variations are "not good". Otherwise the word "good" doesn't mean anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, there are definitely stupid games.
To paraphrase Dogbert, if there aren't stupid games then do stupid people suddenly become competent designers when they throw their crap games on Kickstarter?

As long as there are stupid people there will be stupid games, stupid "designers", and stupid opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Nah, there are definitely stupid games.
To paraphrase Dogbert, if there aren't stupid games then do stupid people suddenly become competent designers when they throw their crap games on Kickstarter?

As long as there are stupid people there will be stupid games, stupid "designers", and stupid opinions.

Well you may be right, but the stupid designers and the stupid opinions would still like the game, in witch case it's not stupid to them. In witch case, it's not stupid, it's just not your kind of game. it's theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
21 22 44 19 6 12 ??
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
the designers would still like the game, in [which] case it's not stupid to them. In [which] case, it's not stupid.
Yeah, that's not a compelling chain of logic from the first sentence to the second. Taste is subjective, yes, but plenty of games fail utterly at being a playable game. It's fair to characterize those failed states as "stupid" (or "unplayable", or perhaps "not actually a game") independent of questions of taste.

Alternately, persuade me that I'm wrong. How is something that purports to be a finished game but is not playable distinct from being "stupid", "bad", or other usually-subjective negative terms? Avoid circular reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

What brought this on?

What's the game/thread in question?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I got a feeling that a user/s made fun of criticized one of the OPs games. It has happened before...

Hicitup wrote:
First of all, I know your trying to be helpful but my rules "Are not" full of typos and the cards are the same size as a normal card. If they are not it's because of the spot that I uploaded them, it might have resized. But did you even check the normal card size before telling me that I made a mistake??? And I have more games coming, my website is for people to see what I'm working on.

OP also has a habit of deleting things he has posted so it might have been that (It was brought up in a thread). It also looks like he has some defensive posts in a deleted blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a girl friend in college that would tell a story about when she was young.

Sometime elementary school aged, she was in the car with her dad when someone cut them off and she yelled 'stupid B!t<h'. Her dad looked at her and told her she should use that word, so she yelled out 'silly B!t<h'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I had a girl friend in college that would tell a story about when she was young.

Sometime elementary school aged, she was in the car with her dad when someone cut them off and she yelled 'stupid B!t<h'. Her dad looked at her and told her she should use that word, so she yelled out 'silly B!t<h'

I apparently told a neighbor that our families dog was named "God Damn Dog" when I was really young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I apparently told a neighbor that our families dog was named "God Damn Dog" when I was really young.

Read Terry Pratchett's Pyramids. I have a feeling you will enjoy it.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a camel named You Bastard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
In my mind, there is a place for every game.
You will need a big mind for some of the stupid games I have played.

It's a common phrase at our game nights.....that was a stupid game for stupid people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so a lot of people have been disagreeing with me, (Probably just because your bored and want something to do) but i did say in my post, "In my mind" So it's like what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And I was really making this post because I am a board game maker and I know how annoying it is when people ditch your game. So I want everybody to feel like there game has a place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Never call a game "stupid."

These guys did: The Stupid Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.